Chapter 10

MATT
I'm exhausted. Both mentally and physically. I decided to skip school today. My mom was fine with it, she is sleeping the whole day because of a night shift. So I slept the whole day, which probably fucked up my sleep schedule. But it was some well needed sleep. My dad finally signed the divorce papers, which helped my mom relieve some extra stress. I wanted to sleep the whole day, to my surprise, I couldn't. Devin came straight from school once he found out that I was staying home. And now, he is at my house.

"Why the fuck would you skip school. Coach is on your ass now." Devin explains to me, as I slowly fall back asleep in my bed. "Holy shit!" Devin says. I look up and notice him staring into Bella's window.

"What?" I ask getting up.

"She's your neighbour? And you didn't tell me. Bloody hell!" Devin says. I look to see Bella with her earbuds on, and she's reading a book.

"I didn't think it was important. And for the record, you said that she was no good from the start. So why on earth would I tell you about this?"

"Because I'm your best mate!"

"Like that has anything to do with this. I like her and you can't seem to understand why I do!" I yell back.

"Oh I understand perfectly fine! Probably because it's the same bloody reason I do!" When he realizes what he's said, he backs up.

"What?" I question.

"Nothing." He responds exiting my room.

"I swear to god Devin!" I yell at him as I run down to catch up to him.

"Boys?" My mom yawns, looking like a zombie.

"Sorry mom." I say as Devin leaves, I follow.

"Listen mate, what I said was a mistake. Don't mention it." He says walking to his car.

"It wasn't a mistake! You don't just say something like that!" I argue with him.

"It doesn't matter anyways! She doesn't like me back, she likes you. It's always you." He says.

"What the fuck does that mean?" I question.

"You're the favourite! My dad loves you more than he loves me! Eighth grade, I asked a girl out and she admitted that she had a crush on you, and that would be 'not okay'. Last year, I told you I liked this girl and yet you went out with her anyway. You're a shit friend. I never told you because of things with your mum and dad, but now that's settled." It takes me a few moments to process what he just said.

"You said you were over her. I wouldn't date a girl you still liked." I admit. Am I really a shit friend?

"Well you never noticed. That's the thing, you wouldn't notice if I shaved my head bald. You're self absorbed. A prick. A fucking nutter, if I have any words to describe you. You may have your perks, but once that's done, it's done." He sighs, "I love you mate, but sometimes, you piss me the hell off. I shouldn't have said what I said."

"No you had every right. I get it." I say awkwardly.

"Right, well then, bye." He says getting into the car.

"Bye." I watch him drive off and for some reason, I feel as if someone has ripped part of my heart out.

"Matthew? What on earth was that about?" My mom says in her scrubs.

I sit down at the counter and bang my head against the cold tile.

"Matt?" My mom questions.

"I've ruined everything mom. I've fuc- ruined my friendship with Devin and I don't know how to fix it." I say, dodging cussing in front of mom.