Chapter 18

Clayton John and I sat around a generator-like machine. It buzzed quietly, just another noise in the background. The small rectangular box was a shade of light gray, vibrating slightly. Heat was radiating off of it, more than a normal fire would. I was thankful for the extra heat, finding myself enjoying the warmth.

            Somehow, Clayton had managed to produce food from that machine. I wasn’t paying attention at the time, but the next thing I know, I’m handed some brown meat. It was warm to the touch, cool enough to hold. I frowned, examining the meat.

            At least I assumed it was meat.

            It was brown, a little tough to the touch. It seemed like steak, but was a little bit…off. The shape was different—much different. But there was something indescribably different about this hunk of meat.

            I studied it, unsure of what to do. Clayton and John had bitten into it, mouths stuffed. Hesitantly, I brought it to my lips, sticking my tongue out. I licked the side of it, getting a glimpse of the taste.

            My eyes widened. It tasted…amazing! Much better than steak or any other meat I could think of. I’d never tasted something so delicious before.

            I hungrily bit into it, loving the delicious feeling. Clayton smiled at me as I took another bit, not caring if I looked like a pig.

            “Do you like it?” He asked

            I nodded eagerly, swallowing what was in my mouth.

            John rolled his eyes, eating his much slower than I was. I noticed that I had eaten a lot more than the two boys had.

            Unfortunately, I finished the mystery meat long before either of them. My mouth yearned for more of the taste, one that amazed me so much.

            I licked the tips of my fingers, trying to savor every last lick. Clayton and John rolled their eyes, a smirk hidden under Clayton’s gaze.

            “What was that?” I asked curiously once they finished.

            “Peesh” Clayton stated simply. I furrowed my eyebrows, confusing on my face. He chuckled, explaining more “Pig and fish genetically put together.”

            I made a face “That doesn’t sound as appetizing as it tastes”

            “Well we ordered one with spices” Clayton said “Original peesh tastes disgusting. This one had different types of sauces thrown into it”

            I nodded “Oh”

            John rolled his eyes, lying down on his back. In the triangle we had formed around the machine, his face was next to my knee. I’m sure he didn’t notice, otherwise he would’ve moved.

            I bit my lip, rubbing my arm nervously “Thank you”

            “No problem” Clayton spoke at the same time John said “You better be”

            They shot each other looks. I shifted awkwardly between them.

            “Where do we go from here?” Clayton asked John. I glanced over at him, awaiting his answer.

            “Well, one of us has to go and get some supplies but then we head to Doc’s.”

            Clayton nodded. I wondered who Doc was. Apparently he was famous if both of them knew who he was.