Chapter 11

One month later……

Stretching her arms and wings as she sat up in her nest, Maleficent looked around for Diaval, and he came flying back, with a handful of berries and fruits. "Why, thank you, Diaval." Maleficent kissed him on the cheek as a reward, and she slowly bit another one of the berries.

Carefully, Diaval lowered himself into the nest too, afraid to knock into Maleficent, and she rolled her eyes, folding her legs closer to her chest as he sat down beside her. "How's our little one doing?" Diaval purred, and Maleficent laughed openly, "Diaval, darling, the baby probably hasn't even been formed fully yet!"

"Doesn't matter to me. I'll talk to your stomach for nine months straight." Diaval smirked, resting his head on her lap, and she stroked his hair lightly, biting another one of the berries. Suddenly, the vine bridge on the end of Moors and the start of Ulstead sent Maleficent a signal, and she knew that Aurora had returned back to the Moors.

"Beastie's back!" Maleficent tapped Diaval's shoulder quickly, raising her legs above the side of the nest to dangle them as she sat on the ledge, and she launched herself off the nest with a jump, free-falling before she spread her wings, throwing herself back into the air. Shifting into his so-called Dark Fae form, Diaval followed suit, and the two flew together till they reached where Aurora was standing, beneath a tree.

"Godmother! Godfather!" Aurora exclaimed, hugging them both, squeezing them tightly when she realised that Maleficent was trying to keep a distance from her, not wanting her stomach to get crushed by the anaconda hug. "Godmother?" Aurora drew away, and Maleficent looked awkwardly from Diaval to Aurora, not knowing how to explain it.

Diaval, however, stepped forward smoothly, and he draped an arm over Aurora's shoulder, "Beastie, I'm afraid you'll be having a younger sibling soon." "Younger sibling?" Aurora looked at Diaval, confused, when she saw Maleficent's hand hovering over her stomach protectively, and her eyes went from Maleficent, to Diaval, and back to Maleficent again when she finally got the hint.

"Oh. My. Fairies. Are you actually-" Aurora shouted, and Maleficent put a finger to Aurora's lips, her cheeks shining red like a beacon of light beside the sun. "Yes. I am." Maleficent nodded, and Aurora squealed, running all over the place, "I'm going to be a sister! I'm a mother and a sister-to-be!"

"That sound rather unusual." Diaval laughed, eyeing the young Queen who was prancing around as though the dress she wore was absolutely weightless. "That's weird alright, but that's our family." Maleficent smiled at Aurora, and the Queen was too busy celebrating to hear her.

Suddenly, the happy atmosphere grew into dread as a shadow clouded over them, and Borra, the other Dark Fae leader, landed beside Maleficent. "You're no longer protector of the Moors, for now." Borra informed her, and the smile vanished from Maleficent's face instantly.

"But that's my duty!" Maleficent argued, anger flashing in her eyes once more, but Borra shook his head. "No, your duty now is to ensure you nurse yourself well, so that the next descendant of the Phoenix will be born safely and the Dark Fae will have a new member." Borra ordered, and Maleficent's eyes were full of disapproval.

"Then who will protect the Moors?!" Maleficent challenged, her aura flaring out, and Borra ignored it, before nodding his head towards Diaval, "Your husband should be able to." "But he possesses no magic!" Maleficent stepped in front of Diaval, and Borra sneered, "Oh no. You gave him the power of free will shape shifting. If he wants to, he most certainly can possess magic."

"I can?" Diaval mused, raising his hands, and vines shot up from the ground, scaring him, making Diaval squawk and leap into the air in rude shock. "There you go." Borra sniffed, tilting his head arrogantly at Maleficent, whose eyes were full of unwillingness and resentment.

"Godmother. Borra is right." Aurora stepped in, having calmed down enough to get the gist of the topic, and Maleficent finally gave up, still rather unwilling, but she grudgingly agreed, "Fine then. Let's just hope that the Moors will remain safe while I'm out of action."

Alas, it was not to be, as they would soon find out……

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇