Author's Note

| Before everything, I'd like to thank you guys for choosing to read this story! 🎉 |

If you are a fan of jungle-island adventure, kingdoms, mythological creatures from different cultures, and most of all some sassy female protagonists, then you will love this story!

The idea for a mythical saga set in ancient Philippines has always begged me to be written down--- for the most part to be able to share the diversity of cultural beliefs around the world, and partly for satisfying my own creative spirit.

Now, the book I've been dreaming is here and open to read for all of you.

-------

Origin

Although the myths, creatures, beings, and gods and goddesses in the book are all based on different Philippine mythologies, Hamartia and all the kingdoms in it are purely my invention.

No harm in a little creative leeway, right?

Polyandry

It should also be noted that polyandry, which is the state of having many husbands, has not been recorded in the pre-colonial Philippines, so far as my research goes.

But, certain groups in India did. And because ancient India influenced a large part of pre-colonial Philippine society, I wanted to explore this idea a bit more.

Reading about polyandry, especially in our protagonist, may deter some readers. But this part is integral to Mahani's life and how she will develop morally and emotionally. There is no erotic humor in using this concept for the book.

Architecture

The palaces and kingdoms of Hamartia are a kind of architectural hybrid between the Taj Mahal of India, and the Angkor Wat of Thailand, as the Philippines back then wasn't as developed as befits our fantastic tale.

Transgender Priestesses

Imbal, a major supporting character, is a transgender priestess of Indramur. Asugs, as they were called in precolonial times, were commonplace back then and were revered alongside normal babaylan priestesses. Although Imbal is transgender, I didn't put the lgbt tag on this story because I don't think it is a historically accurate term for this situation. Take note that in the Phippines, and for most of Southeast Asia, gender neutral pronouns are used. Use of the feminine form is the author's discretion.

Hamartia as a World

Little into reading this book, you will discover that hamartia, which means the fatal flaw which leads to a hero's downfall, has a become a world of its own. Hamartia is a pre-industrial, magical (of course) world which is the only known world of the Hamartian people. It is an alternative universe where there is a universal language, Hamartian, which is of Austronesian origins.

There are mentions of outside traders, so Hamartia may be considered the oecumen of its residents. There is only so much reality that can be put into a magical realm, but all of the mythical creatures and deities are ones that can be found in Philippine mythology. Furthermore, in this universe, there are seven more worlds you'll encounter. ⛩ Oh, yeah.

 ⛩ Oh, yeah

-------

Moreover, this is a story of fiction and is only mildly based on the mentioned setting as the author prefers.

| Enjoy reading! And don't forget to comment and vote! 😘😇 |