Chapter 5: First Blood

"Long story short, the soul which holds Halea's wisdom and reasoning is roaming the Earth this very moment, " the giant boomed.

The balete nymph nodded. "We have also seen the masked ones whom Selahins call the Reapers. They want to---."

The agta slammed his fist on the forest floor. "You will be quiet now, nymph or I will send nightmares to the Selahins that will inspire them to cut down your tree." The giant mumbled under his breath, "Trying to ruin my business."

The giant stood up and towered over the three of them. "I will tell you of their intention if you give me something I want."

The Wind Creature flurried his wings intimidatingly. "And why would we need your information? We could easily go ask any other forest being to tell us."

The giant smiled. "You are less gullible than I expected, Wind Spirit. So unlike your kind. Well, let's just say I have some information on the whereabouts of Halea's karkarma and why this is relevant to issue with the Reapers.

But, you must accept this deal without asking for my price. Although I doubt you will turn me down considering...the consequences." The giant and the nymph turned their backs to the two, signaling that it was time for them to discuss their decision.

Mahani wind-spoke to Caelem. Do you think it's worth it? Maybe he's going to ask us for our souls or something. Can a mortal serpent cult really do that much damage? I for one will not sacrifice myself for some petty royals who threw me out of the family for their reputation.

Foolish human. You will let your resentment blind you? These people worship the serpentine goddess of the underworld, for the Battaras' sake! We're not sure if they even are mortals. What they're planning, it could Doom the whole world.

Caelem straightened and perked up his wings. I don't know about you, but I'm taking the deal.

Not turning, the giant bellowed, "I'm not telling you anything if the human doesn't accept."

"Okay, agta, " twisted her hair in a croissant, "we accept. Tell us what you know."

The giant threw away his burnt cigar and rubbed his thick black hands greedily. "The Reapers plan on reawakening Doom himself."

"What kind of name is that? ," Mahani scoffed.

"She is one of the olden beings, and the very mention of her name can unearth all the evils of the underworld. Doom has been dormant in the seventh world ever since her brother Gugurang trapped her there for trying to destroy the universe.

The Reapers, as you call them, are undead slaves of the underworld. Bakunawa is making them scour for Halea's karkarma so they can get her out of the way."

"So that's why they wear those scarves. I want to know what their faces look like, " Mahani said.

The nymph shook her head, "No, darling, you don't."

Caelem looked up to the giant. "So where is Halea's karkarma?"

"The human need only gaze into the shaman's fire at the Feast. There she will see where the karkarma lies. My price will be paid when the deed is done."

The giant picked up the balete nymph, climbing once again to the treetops, both of them laughing into the void of the forest night.

------

Flying towards the palace, Caelem whispered to Mahani, who was tucked in his wings. "Listen, I need my wings to be free if we're going this far. Just hold on tight to my hand and let yourself fly."