Rebel Girl

“I come baring wine!” I shouted, closing the apartment door behind me.

Almost instantly there was a reply from within the apartment, telling me where to wander towards. “I love you!”

Chuckling at Toby’s loud voice, I headed across the sitting room that the door opened into and through another doorway where their large kitchen and dining room was spaciously spread out. I probably had spent more time here than I did at my apartment; I needed no help to get around. And knowing these two men so well, I knew to bring two bottles of the merlot they favoured since they’d already have a bottle here, but it would never be enough for the three of us.

The room was large and airy, one wall covered in a window with a large wooden table which was complimented with modern furniture. Then the kitchen had bright white cupboards, granite counter tops, top of the line stainless steel appliances, all the accessories and tiled flooring. All in all they were much more design orientated than I was.

Searching the kitchen, I found them, Toby watching while Jay did something at the oven that was beyond my knowledge.

“Hey bitch,” I greeted Toby, raising my eyebrows and referencing the note from this morning.

Sniggering he pushed up from the peninsula counter he’d been leaning against, looking towards me. “Right back at ya,” he returned, dragging me into a warm embrace that was slightly hindered by the bottles that I was still holding. “So how’s life as a rock star?” Toby asked, putting on a false interview voice as he pulled away.

Instantly I rolled my eyes, putting the bottles of wine on the counter. “I’m taking it easy these days,” I told him with a smirk, “Just a couple douses of heroin when no one’s looking. In the back rooms, you know.”

As he laughed at my words, I looked across the counter to where Jay was cutting some vegetables for what I didn’t know. “Hey JJ,” I greeted.

Meeting my eyes, his eyes warmed in my direction. “Hey Keely,” he replied, his voice running just as deeply smooth as I remembered.

Pushing myself up into chair that was set at the peninsula, I pulled a CD I’d brought with me and handed it to Toby. That was habit when we had dinner, which was often – they were my socializing outside of music. Since they didn’t know all that much about music, it was I that provided it. Tonight I’d opted for Leonard Cohen.

Resting my chin on my hand, I smiled at the two. “So what’s for dinner?” I asked.

Given the opportunity, Jay started to talk my ear off about what I gathered was stuffed chicken breasts while Toby just rolled his eyes and went to gather glasses for the wine.

Taking the glass that I was passed, I sipped lightly and smirked while Toby and Jay started bickering over something I wasn’t quite sure I understood. A part of me wondered if even they knew what they were bickering about.

They were truly polar opposites. Toby was actually an inch shorter than I, while Jay had to breach six foot four. Where Jay had dark skin, large dark eyes and a shaved head, Toby was fair with blonde hair he combed back. While Jay kept a more reserved personality that matched his soothing voice, Toby was the one to make a scene. I would guess that in the sixties Jay would have been a hippy whereas the other man would have been a straight arrow.

But they loved each other, so nothing else mattered in my opinion.

“What are you smiling about?” Toby asked me when he caught me watching them.

Jay rolled his eyes good-naturedly, squeezing Toby’s hand. “Let the girl be,” he chastised, “I think she’s still delirious from tour.”

“I just want to be fed,” I countered, raising my eyebrows.