Prolouge

The boy stood shyly before the man in a midnight blue suit. He was tall and lanky, with messy blonde hair and wary, tired eyes. The man looked over the boy – he was in his twenties, a man by normal reckoning, yet to the man in a midnight blue suit he was still a boy, and until he turned his failure into success, he would remain a boy.

"Is it time? Is she... will she be here?" The boy asked, avoiding the gaze of the man looking down on him.
"Nearly," replied the man. His words were clipped but calculated, like the tip of an iceberg.
"Why... Why did you call me here? I gave up asking for another chance... I thought I was nothing to you."
The man ignores the cynicism in the boys' voice. "Because an opportunity has presented itself, in the form of your sister. After you flawed my techniques, I've been forced to change. I have something else in store for the girl. Something that is sure to work."
There was a pause as the boy let the man's words sink in. His lips were stretched in a tight line. It was clear he despised the man in the midnight blue suit, but not so much that he didn't know to be wary of the man's limits.
"What I want you to do," continued the man, "is lie to her. Tell her not the truth, but your own twisted version. She must not find out why she is really here, or else she might simply follow in your footsteps. You need to be her constant companion. My reasons for this are of no concern to you. Your task is to keep her occupied. Don't let her look between the walls of this house. Call it a test, of sorts. It will help her to succeed... You do want her to succeed, don't you?"
The boy hesitated. Reluctantly, he dips his head in agreement.
"However," The man says, "I know you will not do this out of your undying love and respect for me. If you can complete this task, then I may give you another chance. We may once again try to harness what you lost control of."
At this, the boy's interest perked. He would do anything for a chance to redeem himself, even if it meant betraying her. She would forgive him, surely; after all, he was doing it in her best interests.

"I'll do it."
The man smiled, but his eyes remained cold like the iceberg hidden underneath the surface. "Good. Make a mistake, and your second chance will sink."
"I won't fail you," replied the boy, more confidently than before. "Not again."

The man in a midnight blue suit waved him away. As he exited the room, the man stood from his chair and turned to look out the window that overlooked his immaculate gardens. He never needed to tend to them. They looked after themselves, so the view from his window remained perfect, day after day.

"So easy to persuade." The man said to himself, barely a whisper. Even if the boy did as he was told, the man had no intention of giving him another chance. Once a failure, always a failure. The boy was a waste of space - the result of a mistake. Mistakes were things the man would rather erase, remove all its evidence. The boy was more complicated than that.

This girl though... he could see her potential. So much more than the boy had. He knew that with the methods he would use to teach her, she could become one of the best. She would beat all the others, at the very least. He would show them that his abilities had not weakened, as they had accused after the boy's failure.

And after she had beaten them all, after she had proven herself to be the best, how useful she would become. The man could just imagine. All that power...

Oh, how he would love draining her mind andextending his. 'Yes,' he thought, 'this girl will be my best yet.'