Chapter Ten

The boy had his head stuck in a book. It wasn't a particularly good book, because he squirmed in his position and looked around every few sentences, as if he was uncomfortable, even though he was sprawled out on a plush couch, abundant with cushions. The afternoon sun cast sharp shadows across the library, glinting on the boy's messy blonde hair. There was uncertainty in his eyes as they half-heartedly scanned the page. He did not know what to do with himself.

The next time he looked up, the uncertainty in his eyes shifted into fear. His book dropped to the floor. Standing in front of him was a girl.

She had moon-white skin and jet black hair that tumbled down her back in loose ringlets. Her cheekbones were prominent in a relaxed face. Dark eyebrows that were once elegantly shaped now grew naturally. A small nose sat between curious eyes. Her eyes were what intrigued the boy. They were dark blue, streaked with violet. They took in the boy as he lay frozen on the couch, his hand gripping a cushion in fright. She didn't stand still, this girl. Her body seemed to waver as she stood. Her arms floated away from her sides and her hair seemed to move ever so slightly She was like water, this girl: she was always moving, never still.

They stayed like this for a while, the wary boy and curious girl. Just looking at each other, cautious of the unfamiliar person. The girl flowed over to where the boy had dropped his book. It was unfair to call her movement walking. It was not as simple as walking – it was a gracious dance, engaging all of her body. She never took one step and then another. She flowed, her movement joining all parts of her. A ballerina would stare with envy.

She flowed over to the boy's book. Tenderly, she ran her fingers over it before picking it up and turning to offer it back to the boy. He slowly reached out and took it, in awe of this unusual girl.
"Th-thank you," he stammered, slightly unsure of what to do. "I'm Jonathan."
"Jonathan," The girl repeated. When she said his name she tasted every letter, letting the fresh sound roll over her tongue.
"What's your name?" Jonathan asked. The girl shook her head, making her dark hair ripple.
"You... don't have a name." He realised. The girl looked at her feet. Jonathan briefly thought about giving her one, before realising that no word in any language could ever attempt to describe the wonderful thing the girl was.
"Where did you come from?" He questioned. The girl hesitated before shaking her head again.
"You don't talk much, do you?" The girl didn't respond, in movement or in words. Instead, she flowed over to one of the huge library shelves. She picked out a book with a lavish green cover, the spine traced with gold. She came back and set the book in Jonathan's lap before gingerly sitting down next to him.

Jonathan picked up the book and looked it over. "An Intellectual History," he read aloud. "You want me to read this?" The girl nodded. Jonathan sighed and opened the cover. He had nothing better to do, he thought. Having nothing better to do was only his excuse. Jonathan didn't want to admit to himself that he was already enthralled with the girl.

Jonathan began to read. His voice filled the giant room with tales of history, a history of intellectual abilities and Elites. The girl hung onto his every word. They read for hours, that first day. When the sun was starting to set, the girl laid a tired hand on the page Jonathan was reading from. He stopped, and she closed the book. "Is that... enough?" Jonathan asked. She didn't reply. She glanced quickly at the lowering sun before standing up.

Jonathan quickly placed the book beside him and stood up behind her. She was moving towards the door.
"Wait!" Jonathan called out. "Are you staying here – in the mansion? Kept here? Can I see you again?"
The girl stopped and looked over her shoulder. Her dark blue and violet eyes considered him carefully. Softly she nodded her head before swiftly sweeping out the door.

Jonathan remained in the library long after the skies darkened and the stars began to glitter.

The next day, Jonathan skipped his breakfast in anticipation to see the girl again. As soon as he woke, he bounded through the stark white halls to the library. Jonathan didn't think about how unusual the girl was. He was more than happy to have some company in his lonely life. He had dealt with his own share of unusual things in the last few years.

The girl wasn't there when Jonathan arrived. It was still early, so he was content to wait. On the couch was still the book with the green cover. Jonathan smiled as he remembered the feeling of her presence next to him as he read to her. But something still nibbled at Jonathan's thoughts.

He picked up the book, running his hand over his cover. When he looked up, he was startled to find the girl standing only a few meters away, smiling a sweet smile that seemed like both laughing and frowning.

Jonathan read to the girl again that day and the day after. For weeks Jonathan read to her. She soaked up every word he spoke. But every day, she left without saying a word. And Jonathan was too afraid of ruining their daily routine to pressure her into telling him anything. She had already become precious to Jonathan. He had given up everyone else in his life. He was hesitant to risk pushing her away.

Every day as he watched her sweep out the door, Jonathan wondered who she was. Where she came from and where she went. After three weeks of the girl's silence, his curiosity got the better of him.

The sun was shimmering on the horizon. It cast an orange glow over the library where Jonathan sat. He watched as the girl slipped out of the library once again, her inky black hair swaying as she moved. He waited. And then, he stood. As silently as he could, he followed her from the library.

She was at the edge of the corridor. Her body seemed to fly over the floor, with none of the jerkiness Jonathan had. She turned the corner and moved down a longer corridor. Jonathan hurried to keep up with her.

He followed her down that corridor, dread slowly filling his stomach. His destination became clear as he trailed her black curls down the stark white halls. She slipped into a room, unremarkable from the outside. Jonathan followed. He never even stopped to think.

While the rest of the mansion had been warm, this room was like ice. It sent a shudder through Jonathan, even before he saw what it held. The room was windowless. A worn staircase rose into the upper level. Darkness was all that was visible from above it. A single eerie grey sconce sat beside the doorway. Inside it, midnight blue fire flickered.

Despite the cold, sweat began to trickle down Jonathan's brow.

In the corner farthest from Jonathan was the girl. She was huddled into the wall, her black hair covering her face. She didn't look up as Jonathan entered.

Between her and Jonathan stood Lucian.

Though his posture was relaxed, Lucian's grey eyes were darkened by anger. His usually immaculate midnight blue suit was in disarray. The jacket was torn down the side, exposing the white fabric beneath.

"So, my dear Jonathan, I see you've finally found something to fill your days with," Lucian observes, his voice dripping with dark sarcasm. "Unfortunately for you, you never should have come into contact with this." Jonathan was rooted to the spot, his hands shaking at his sides. Lucian took a step toward him. From the corner, there is a whimper. The girl is looking up, the violet in her blue eyes strikingly vivid. Without sparing a glance to the figure behind him, Lucian swiftly twists his hand. The girl is thrust back against the wall, silenced once again.

"Do not interfere. Stay out of my way. That is my one rule. I tolerate your mistakes, your mere shameful presence, and that is all I ask. Follow it." Lucian says, his voice a knife cutting through Jonathan's fear. His hand moves again, and Jonathan's head hits the floor.

Whenhe wakes, Jonathan is in the room where he sleeps. He does not see the girlagain.