H

It has been two weeks since their trip to M. Kiling and Adam has not seen Zach since then. He was not even able to say farewell to him at that time because he found out late that Zach was kicked out of his car by Alex, Dennis, and Louis. Adam was very annoyed at the trio, but he could not do anything anymore because the van had already left by then.

While he hates to admit it, Adam longed to see Zach. There was something fascinating from his presence, but Adam could not wrap his head around as to what exactly it was. Maybe it was because Zach was someone he was not accustomed to? As humans, we do have that natural tendency to gravitate towards things that stir our curiosity. Like a flower that bloomed in a crack on the sidewalk, a pedestrian would wonder how it managed to thrive in such a difficult condition. Adam was the pedestrian and Zach was the flower; he wanted to know more about him.

He has one valid reason to look for Zach: to get the photos of their outreach program in M. Kiling. However, he could not muster the courage to go to the Architecture wing on the seventh floor of their school building, afraid that others might misinterpret his visiting. And so, the pedestrian walked past the flower even if he badly wanted to observe it up close. Besides, he has a more important task to focus to: his midterm exams.

The cafés around his school were crammed and noisy; he could not focus in such a place. His bedroom, although quiet, was also not a preferable option because he knew full well that he would not be able to resist the temptation of the Goddess of Sleep upon seeing his queen-sized bed with its comfortable pillows and well-arranged sheets.

Adam returned to St. Joseph and tried his luck at the library on the third floor.

And just when he least expected it, he was there.

Adam could not help but smile to himself at the sight of Zach wearing their school uniform, a white polo, with a dark blue patch bearing the logo of St. Joseph's College stitched on its front pocket, paired with navy blue slacks.

Zach was reaching for a book from the topmost shelf. Adam hurriedly went to him and helped him get the book. Zach was a little startled by his sudden appearance that his eyes were widened when he looked up to him, exposing his irises which the pedestrian studied.

They looked like sunflowers, but their petals, which extended from their dark center, was of hazelnut color, as if the corolla has been discolorated after being exposed too much from the dust and pollution as it absorbed the dirty city air, filtered it, and then released it in a much cleaner state that was well enough for humans like the pedestrian to breathe in.

The pedestrian was too focused on observing the flower that he did not realize how close he was leaning onto the flower.

The cart filled with books moved and the creaking sound it made woke up the pedestrian from his reverie.

Adam took a step back and straightened himself. He handed the book to Zach. "Here."

He peeked outside of the bookshelves and checked if there were eyes darted towards them. Fortunately, he saw none.

"Thank you," said Zach, "but I was actually trying to get it back to the shelf."

"Oh."

Zach chuckled. Adam rubbed his nape and grabbed the book from Zach's hands and slid it onto the shelf.

"Did you read all those books?" he asked when he noticed the cart filled with books beside Zach.

"Oh, these? No, no. I am helping Mang Larry here in the library."

Zach pointed his lips towards the librarian, a bald man of around age fifty years, who was busy punching out the books being borrowed by some students.