Chapter Five - Gate Crashing

It turned out I had hidden myself in what seemed to be a cleaning closet

It turned out I had hidden myself in what seemed to be a cleaning closet. My muscles were starting to cramp from sharing such a small space with a vacuum. There was barely enough room for it, let alone both of us. I waited several heartbeats after the footsteps retreated to crack the door open. I poked my head around the door, but the room was empty.

I held my breath as I tiptoed down the stairs, but thankfully they didn't creak. Passing by a window, something outside caught my attention. Parked in the driveway was a black SUV, the headlights still on. Maybe that meant the keys were inside. I couldn't see anyone else around the vehicle, so quickly and quietly I opened the front door.

When no one yelled at me to stop, I dashed to the driver's side of the car and shut the door. There, in the ignition, was a set of keys. I threw the car into drive and slammed my foot onto the gas pedal, lurching the car forward. The driveway circled the front yard and I sped off in one direction. I drove for about a mile before a gate appeared at the end of the driveway. A gate? I looked around the car for a remote that would open it, but nothing stood out. I stared straight ahead at it, my knuckles tightening on the steering wheel. What are the odds that it'll magically open for me?

The closer I got to the gate, the longer it stayed closed. I stepped on the gas a little harder. There's no way the gate can withstand being rammed into by a car.

Seconds before I hit the gate, my chest tightened and my vision wavered. All I could see was a pair of headlights that faded in and out of reality. All I could hear were screams. I slammed on the brakes, but it was too late. 

*****

"What were you thinking?"

I could barely hear over the ringing in my ears. It sounded strangely like metal grating against metal.

"What was your goal? Did you really think that the gate would bust open from one car?"

I could feel the warmth of the fire on my skin, suffocating me.

"What am I going to do with you, Ava?"

My eyes blinked open, but there wasn't a fire. I wasn't even in the car anymore. I was back in bed, trapped in a psychopath's mansion. Said psychopath was sitting way too close to me on the bed, head resting in his hands and eyes closed. I tried to scoot away from him but my movements were sluggish and restrained. This time by two sets of handcuffs. That's when I realized the throbbing in behind my eyes and a dull ache in my body. I didn't mean to let out of the groan of pain that formed in my throat. He turned so he was facing me, the raw emotion in his eyes startled me, burning intensely. It was quickly replaced with a cold, hard gaze.

"You could uncuff me. Or let me go." I jingled the handcuff quietly. His eyes landed on my wrists. "I'm not sorry about your car."

He fixed his gaze on me again, some of that coldness in his eyes melted away. Looking into his eyes numbed some of the pain, and if I had been sitting up I might've leaned towards him. A humorless smile crossed my face briefly. He was good. A regular Ted Bundy. 

"How do you know my name?" I questioned, sifting through the dream-like fog.

"It's not so hard to look someone up." He answered cryptically as he stood.

"Well, what's your name?"

"Jaime."

"I would offer to shake your hand, but I'm a little tied up." I rattled the handcuffs, wincing as the noise sent a sharp pain through my skull.

He let out a short laugh that settled in my very bones as he stood, walking to the door. He swung the door open, throwing one last glance at me over his shoulder before the door shut quietly behind him. 

I sat on the bed for hours, mindlessly tugging at the handcuffs before the door opened again. It was Alma, holding a stack of neatly folded clothes in her arms. When she reached me, she set the clothes down in my lap and pulled something from her apron pocket. It was a small key.

"Are you going to try anything?" She raises an eyebrow, resting a hand on her hip. She gave the image of a scolding mother.

With a firm shake of my head, she leaned across me and freed my wrists. She thrust the stack of clothes into my arms and guided me towards the bathroom, her hands resting gently on my shoulders. "It will be easier for you if you don't try that again."

"I'm sure it will be." I mumbled.

"I'm serious. You are in a strange position here. Be careful." She turned around, walking back toward the door.

"What do you mean?"

"I'll be back in half an hour to check on you." She ignored my question, leaving the room and locking the door behind her. 

I stood in the doorway of the bathroom, contemplating her words. I wasn't sure how strange my position was. I was kidnapped and now I was being held prisoner, simple enough. I sighed, shutting the door to the bathroom. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and froze. There was a butterfly stitch covering a small cut across my forehead that was almost a perfect mirror to the scar on the other side. My fingers prodded at the cut and while it stung, it didn't seem too bad. Probably won't leave a scar, I thought, hand dropping back down as my eyes landed on the ugly scar on the other side of my face. It ran from my hairline down to my eyebrow in a jagged line, barely noticeable now that it's faded. Shaking my head, I peeled off my dirty uniform and stepped into the shower. The hot, running water soothed my tense muscles.

After a very long shower, I reached for the fluffy, white towel and wrapped it around my body. I pulled the shower curtain back and almost immediately dropped the towel. Standing in the middle of the bathroom was Blondie staring at me with a surprised look on his face that mirrored my own.

"What are you doing in here?" I yelled at him, gripping my towel tighter.

He regained his composure as he simply stared at me with a smirk on his face. "Boss told me to check on you."

"Okay. Clearly, I'm still here, so you can go now."

"I'll wait outside." He dangled the handcuff keys on one finger and disappeared through the door.

I took my time drying off and eyed the stack of clothes. The gray sweater hung loose on my small body, falling to the mid-thigh, but the black leggings fit better. My damp hair quickly soaked through the back of the sweater.

I left my work uniform on the floor of the bathroom as I opened the door. Blondie turned when the door opened. "You're not going to try anything again, are you?" He eyed me cautiously.

"Do you think I'm an idiot?"

He raised his eyebrows and shrugged. I should've grabbed that shampoo bottle. He gestured towards the bed and my heart lurched in my chest. All the other times I have woken up chained to the bed. I don't think I could willingly allow it to happen. What if-?

"I don't have all day." Blondie huffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

I could run. I almost made it last time. With just a little bit of luck- Be careful. Right. I couldn't try some hopeless stunt again. Not unless I was sure I could get out. I have to behave. Maybe even earn their trust.

Slowly, one foot fell in front of the other, all while watching Blondie from the corner of my eye. My knees hit the bed and I scooted in the middle, holding my wrists out for him to handcuff. The shock showed on his face as he locked the cold metal around my wrists and when he turned to leave, he threw another bewildered look my way. I could almost see the gears turning in his head as he shut the door.

I can do this.