Chapter Twenty Two - Let's Dance

"Dance with me

"Dance with me."

I stared blankly at Jaime before placing my hand in his outstretched one. He gently pulled me out of my chair, and we walked to the middle of the room where other people were already dancing. An orchestra was set up in the back of the room and some of the tables were cleared to allow for a dance floor.

Jaime spun me toward him as the band started a slow, soft song. I rested my hand on the back of his neck, the long strands tickling my fingers. He grasped my other hand in his and rested his free hand on my waist, his fingertips brushing against my exposed back. His touch sent tingles up my spine and it was all I could do not to trip over my own feet.

"I should warn you, I'm a terrible dancer." I whispered, worried he might not be able to hear me. Jaime offered me a rare smile.

"I highly doubt that." He pulled me closer until our chests were almost touching.

"Au contraire, I happen to be terrible at many things. Dancing being one of them." He laughed softly, leaning me down into a small dip. I wasn't sure if it was that or the warmth in his eyes that left me breathless.

"You're perfect, Ava." If he hadn't been holding me, I might've fallen straight to the floor.

I closed the distance between us, leaning my head against his chest. Forgotten was the past week of awkwardness and walking on eggshells around each other. I couldn't find it in myself to keep my distance and I suddenly realized that maybe, perhaps, I didn't want to anymore.

We swayed to the music, slowly spinning in a circle. I savored the feeling of his arms around me and silently hoped that the band would never stop playing its melodic song. I felt him rest his chin on top of my head and sighed in contentment.

"You better not mess my hair up, Jaime Santoro." I teased and felt his chest rumble with laughter. He lightly pressed his lips against my hair.

Eventually, I noticed everyone had stopped dancing around us, and I pulled back slightly to look at Jaime. "Why is everyone staring at us?"

"They're all looking at you." I grew more confused and it must've shown on my face because he continued, "You are the most captivating woman in this room. That and you're dancing with the sexiest man on earth."

He wiggled his eyebrows at me and I slapped him on the arm playfully, my mouth curving into a smirk. I was expecting the professional, down to business Jaime tonight but he surprised me with this very rare version of himself. "They are curious about you. You're the first person I've ever attended a banquet with, let alone danced with. There have been rumors going about what you mean to me."

"And what exactly do I mean to you, Jaime?" I asked, staring deep into his eyes. He opened his mouth to answer but shut it just as quickly, peering behind me with a murderous look on his face.

"Mind if I cut in?" A voice challenged right behind me. I turned to face Mr. Santoro, a charming smile plastered on his face that didn't quite reach his eyes. I could feel Jaime tense behind me, ready to refuse but I cut him off. "Not at all, Mr. Santoro."