Chapter 16: Selene

Unedited

...

I had not planned on getting the Prince involved. I had also not expected him to so willingly help. I had expected resistance. He must have already been thinking of helping, for him to have responded so quickly.

The King got to his feet. I could see the fury in his eyes.

"Guards, seize my Champion and bring her to me," he ordered. I growled and gave a wicked smile. His order no longer pushing on me as he changed his mind. I grabbed my obsidian blade from my back and sliced through the first guard who drew close. The blade severed the man in half in one blow. Chaos erupted as more guards attacked, some of them turning on one another as the glamour disguising them as human guards fell, revealing Azriel and his fae warriors.

I smiled with glee as the King's face twisted in panic. Niccie and Celtez freed Zirra from the guards.

I was a song of shadow and death as I cut through soldier after soldier. Blood covered my face and hands, making me look like the monster I truly was.

I looked up to see the King approaching Azriel from behind. His sword raised over his head. I did not think as I tore through guard after guard, desperate to reach them. I could not lose him again. If anyone had to live through this, it was Azriel.

I raised my blade and blocked the blow intended for Azriel. The King growled at me and opened his mouth to order me. I lifted my blade and ran it through the King's gut.

I watched as his eyes grew wide and the words failed to come to his lips as he coughed up blood.

"Did you think that you would be able to put a leash on a wolf and pass it off as a puppy?" I growled as the King fell to his knees. I pulled out the sword and in one blow, severed the King's head from his shoulders.

Pain raced through me as the King's head toppled to the floor. I was dying. I looked at my hands. My fingers were longer and more defined. I could feel the glamour that had hidden my true face for the last seven years lift. I felt a single tear roll down my face as I fell to my knees. It was a tear of joy. I was finally free.

 I was finally free