Chapter 17: Azriel

Unedited

...

I turned around too late. The King was already swinging a killing blow towards me. All I could do was try and step back and brace for the blow. But it never came. I looked up to see Selene block the King's blow with her own sword. She drew back and shoved her sword deep into the King's gut.

"Did you think that you would be able to put a leash on a wolf and pass it off as a puppy?" She growled. In a swift movement, she pulled out her sword and did not hesitate as she decapitated the King. Pride welled inside of me at my beautiful mate. Her silver hair glimmered in the lights. She was taller and her muscles were more defined. She turned and smiled at me, her blue eyes shone brightly. I watched as she collapsed to her knees. I felt our bond quickly fading.

I rushed forward pulling her into my arms. She could not die now. I just got her back. I threw open my end of the bond clinging to what was left of her. I did the only thing I could think to do. I bit my wrist, forcing Selene to drink my blood. If she was linked in a way similar to a blood oath, then maybe another blood oath would save her.

"Selene, do take the blood oath?" I cried as I held her close. Her eyes had closed and her breaths were coming slowly.

"Yes," She whispered and then she stopped breathing altogether. I reached through the bond refusing to let go of the small bit of her remaining. I poured my magic through the bond, forcing it into her.

Slowly, I could feel the bond strengthening. Selene's body shook. Her eyes flew open as she gasped for air. I could not stop the tears from falling down my face as I pulled her close to me.

"I love you, Selene Blackthorne," I whispered in her ear.

"I love you too, Azriel Blackthorne," she whispered back. I smiled as I pressed my lips to hers and refused to let go. She was mine, and I was her's for till the gods claimed us.

The fighting around us had stopped, most of the humans were dead, aside from the Prince who Niccie now held at sword point.

"This ends today," I said standing as Selene stood beside me.

"For too long, our kinds have fought a never-ending war, bringing nothing but sorrow and death," My voice carried through the throne room.

"I offer you this only once," I turned to look at the Prince, "You stood up for my mate when no one else did, for that, I offer you a chance to keep your life and your crown," I ignored the gasps of my warriors as I continued, "I offer you a chance at peace, what say you," I extended my hand towards the new human King. He looked between me and Selene before taking my hand and smiling.

"I say it is far overdue, King of the Fae," The human King bowed his head, and I could feel the truth behind his words.

"For as long as my blood sits on this throne, there will be peace between the humans and the fae, this I swear to you," the Human King offered.

"As long as my blood sits on my throne, there will be peace between our two great kingdoms," I agreed.