Chapter 30: Surrender

Author's Note: This is a bit of a short chapter compared to the past twenty chapters - I was avoiding social media in order to see TROS spoiler-free. The movie only inspired me to finish this fanfiction with more fire than when I first started! That being said, this chapter is shorter because the next chapter is heavy and I decided to move it to Chapter 31, which won't be far behind! Nothing about my plot has changed from my original plan after seeing the movie, and I can't wait for you to read the ending!!!

*

Rey stood from the co-pilot chair to peer out into the dark of the night, studying the sky above the ship. The outline of Kylo Ren's former star destroyer, The Finalizer, was hovering just above orbit. In a single blink, two more smaller ones appeared close to it. Two more joined them a moment later, followed by several more. The dark treetops started to wave violently back and forth as the wind picked up.

Leaning forward, she closed her eyes and rested her forehead against the window pane with her palms to support her. Emotions not felt in a long time coursed through her; fear, anger, and despair.

They were so close to getting everyone out in time.

"Hail them" the words came out of her mouth instinctively.

"Rey, there will be no negotiating here" Ren warned.

She shook her head at him, the panic rising in her throat. "We need to reach them before they launch an assault on us. No one will survive if they get down here before the ships are reached."

Ren reached forward and depressed a single, white button for two seconds before releasing it.

"They've been hailed."

Rey stared back out the window up at the nighttime sky, whispering under her breath. "I can do this...I can do this."

A soft alarm activated in the cockpit, Ren accepted the message on the console. 

A voice, chilling and hollow, raised goosebumps on Rey's arms. "The day of death has come upon the Resistance. There will be no mercy, no prisoners taken, unless there is a surrender by Rey and Kylo Ren."

Rey was speechless, fear taking reign over her thoughts as she listened.

"Surrender, and your pitiful crew will be spared."

Rey cradled her face in her hands, distraught at the impending assault. There was only one option here.

"We have to give up" she said finally, turning to Ren. "It's the only way to save them."

Her words appeared to have an effect on Ren; his bottom lip quivered as she pleaded with him.

Getting down on one knee in the cockpit, Rey took his right hand in her own. "Please," she begged, "save my friends. They're the only family I have left."

Ren's shoulders sagged as he listened. His eyes never left hers as he slowly depressed the comms button once more.

"This is Kylo Ren. We accept the surrender and are currently coming up to the orbit. Have an escort ready."

"A wise choice, my boy."

An alarm made three short beeps, signalling the end of the communication exchange between them and the First Order ship above them.

Finn peeked his head into the cockpit with a somber look before entering, and to Rey's surprise, Poe followed behind him.

"I grounded the ships once we got warning they were exiting hyperspace...otherwise they would just pick us off like flies" Poe said, running a hand through his hair. "Finn and I have an idea though."