Chapter 5: Young Hearts

-Hailey's POV-

Hailey walked alongside Hunter and maintained a good distance between them. She kept a light conversation going so they wouldn't silently be walking in front of the other pack members, even though they were too busy working on their own things to even notice them. She had to admit that she was tremendously nervous around Hunter, his penetrating gaze and invigorating scent of dark pine and leather made her trip over her own two feet.

"It's a beautiful day," she commented.

Hunter's eyes moved over her face. "It is," he answered. "Great for a run."

"Or a swim," she groaned inwardly for saying that, she didn't want to give him the wrong intention that she wanted to go take a swim with him.

Hunter's smirk appeared. "You sure like to talk," he observed.

Hailey awkwardly laughed. "It's bit of a habit when I'm nervous," she told him.

"Why are you nervous?" he asked earnestly.

Hailey wondered if he was seriously asking her that question. This man did not know the effect he had on people. "You're quite intimidating," she revealed. "If you haven't noticed."

Hunter shrugged. "I've been told," he said. "But you don't need to feel such a way. I actually quite like you."

Hailey chuckled. "Right, I like you too," she mentally screamed at herself for spewing gibberish. She probably sounded like a teenager talking to her lifelong crush. Not that she had a crush on Hunter, it was just something he did to her that made her not want to leave his side all day. And her wolf couldn't agree more.

Hailey's house was inches away. "Thank you for walking me home, I'm sure you had other things to do," she said as they stopped just before the porch stairs.

Hunter straightened his shoulders. "I would've walked you home either way," he told her openly.

Hailey didn't know how to respond to that, she pondered over why he was showing such an interest. She didn't want to get the wrong signal and he wasn't as transparent as she thought he would be.

"I can't seem to figure you out, Hunter Centauri," she aspirated.

Hunter's golden gaze brightened. "I'm not that complicated," he disclosed. "It's my wolf you should worry about."

Hailey laughed at his conviction. She turned towards her house, when suddenly, her arm was seized in tight hold, she looked back and found Hunter's eyes narrowed and his smile turned into a frown.

"What's wrong?" She asked him the reason behind his sudden change of attitude.

"Do you always leave your door open?" He asked strictly.

Hailey looked back at the front door and it really was open. "That's weird," she mumbled.

"Stay here," ordered Hunter.

"Er- I don't think so," she followed him despite his order.

Compared to her, Hunter crowded the small porch. The cabin size seemed to shrink with him on it, the space that was only meant for her felt so different with Hunter here with her, his relaxed confidence made his presence at her home so intimately personal. Hunter's muscular stature filled the frame of her door and he moved forward without hesitation.

Hailey panicked when she realized the mess that would be inside her house. "Hold on," she grabbed his strong arm and barred him from entering her house. "You can't go inside."