s i x t y - f i v e

Chapter 65: After All Is Said And Done

Remember to vote!

* * *

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it isn't so

* * *

Wielding a bright smile and encouraging body language, Cecilia was clearly excited that evening.

As Sage stepped into the house, she met him at the doorway and led him into the living room, where she prompted him to eat some of his birthday cake and open one of her gifts to him. Even without knowing, Sage could guess what it was, seeing that she had promised to him get one for his birthday.

After filing a fork-full of creamy Black Forest cake in his mouth, he nervously reached across the table and accepted that rectangular box from his mother, sliding it out of the silk carrier case. Thereafter, he was greeted with the sight of the gray box encasing the sleek black LG phone that he slid from the container shortly after.

With a nervous smile, he glanced up at his mother as he held down the power button, watching in awe as the screen burst into a series of colors that formed the LG logo shortly after. Once the phone powered on, Sage swiped through a few of the features, testing out everything first. A decent camera, RAM, storage and recorder; not bad for a budget first phone.

Finally, he smiled, looking his mother in the eye. "T-thank you, mom."

"Nonsense,donut! You've been such a good boy lately, and I know how much you've been looking forward to this." Cecilia chirped. "Now, quickly, save my number."

And that Sage did.

He slid his phone in the case Randall gave him, after which he programmed all his friends' numbers in his phone.

Nyx, Vera, Randall, and Mom. Four contacts, not bad.

In such a candid moment, Sage recalled how big and heavy Xander's phone was, after which he wondered what Xander's number would sound like. Instantly, Sage shook the thought off.

I-I don't care.

Once he'd shoved the last morsel of cake in his mouth, Cecilia ushered him to get up and go to his room. It was different that time, for she wasn't chastising about devils and homosexuality, but her sudden light-switch flip in behavior puzzled him. Though he had a bad feeling, he listened to her just so she wouldn't get angry at him again.

Cecilia only guided him to his room, where Sage laid eyes on Felt sitting on his bed. Prior to greeting her, that's when his eyes took in the sight of candles situated at different points in the room, all giving off the calming aroma of Jasmine, sandalwood and a touch of lavender.

Upon stepping in, the door closed behind him, followed by a low click and an excited giggle on the other side. Immediately whirling to it, Sage banged on the door.

"M-mom?"

No response.

"Sageybear," Felt called, but it lacked the zealous mess that always accompanied everything that she was. At that moment, she only looked nervous, playing with her fingers and pulling under her lips to further moisten them. Standing, she approached the frightened boy but stopped in the center of the room. "I was wondering if you could help me out in algebra? I know it's fairly easy, but I just don't understand."