Chapter 31

The drive home from the airport was not at all what Cammie expected. After her exchange with Virgo, she believed there would be tension between them, enough for Jess to sense it; however, Jess' chatter into the car carried them into their apartment where Savannah picked up any slack on Jess' part and the entire situation seemed to be put on hold for the time being. Virgo, for her part, didn't seem the slightest bit off, but Cammie couldn't be sure if she was truly recovered or much better at hiding her emotions than she realized. Cammie herself felt awkward still, but did her best to push the anxieties aside.

A couple hours before the party, the group of four girls decided to pre-game the party and began drinking with the aid of games. They began with Uno. The rules weer simple: whoever got a plus card played on them had to drink. In an unspoken agreement, everyone targeted Cammie and by the end of the game, when Jess finally played her last card victoriously, Cammie had finished her entire beer, whereas the other girls had taken a few sips here and there. Cammie protested against what she believed were the injustices of this game, but everyone's laughter drown her out.

Savannah pulled out a deck of cards next and they played King's Cup. They placed a full can of unopened beer in the center of the table and explained the rules to Virgo.

"It's pretty easy," Savannah explained. "Each time you draw a card from the deck, it means something different. We'll just explain the cards when they come up. Once you're done, you put the card under the tab of the can and whoever breaks the seal has to chug the beer."

"Okay," Virgo nodded, unsure of this game.

Savannah started and drew a Queen. "Okay, so I'm the question master now. If I asked a question, whoever answers first has to drink. Does that make sense?"

Virgo nodded. "Yes."

The other three girls laughed and pointed to Virgo, shouting "Drink!"

After a moment of confusion, Virgo realized she had immediately answered Savannah's question and laughed, taking a drink.

Savannah shoved her card under the tab of the beer can and Cammie went next, drawing a two.

"You," she said. "That means I get to choose who to drink. I choose Savannah."

Savannah grinned and took a drink. Cammie placed the card under the tab.

Jess drew next and drew a five. "Drive."

Savannah explained: "Basically you have to 'start your car' by making a revving sound. Then it goes around and you have to turn your wheel and say 'vroom.' The way you turn the wheel dictates which player goes next. If you say 'skir' like the sound of tires squealing, you go the opposite way, like the reverse card in Uno."

"What," Virgo asked, completely baffled.

Jess laughed. "Okay, maybe just accept that you're drinking this time."

Virgo frowned. "No way. Let's go."

The girls all placed their hands in front of them like they were grasping a steering wheel and began to make revving noises to 'start their cars.' Cammie started by turning her wheel to the left. Savannah turned her wheel to the left, as did Virgo and Jess. Once it came back to Cammie, she made the ridiculous "skir" sound and turned the wheel in the opposite direction. Jess followed suit and turned the wheel in the same direction, bringing it back to Virgo, who turned her wheel to Savannah, who switched it up and turned it back to Virgo, who inevitably messed up and laughed when she had to drink.

Virgo drew the next card, which was an Ace.

"Waterfall," Savannah said. "Basically you start drinking and the person after you can't stop until you do."