Chapter 33

To drown out the feeling of impending doom that tried to bore its way into the brains of the Driver sisters, they blasted music while they dressed themselves for their father's big event. As the sisters applied their makeup and curled their hair, they scrutinized each dash of mascara or application of blush, knowing Elizabeth Driver, already a necrotic mess on a good day, would be watching them like a hawk ready to strike down its prey.

Jess carefully focused on her mascara, leaning in close to the mirror to ensure that her lashes were perfect. As a child, Jess had made a point of being outwardly rebellious; she constantly strained against any expectation or requirement bestowed upon her by her parents, hating the way their parents made them dress or act. Her childhood, she had to admit, was not easy, but much of it was brought on by her unquenchable desire for freedom and self-expression, something that Cammie had never seemed to struggled with.

Up close to the mirror, Jess gazed into her own eyes, studying herself. A lifetime spent fighting back, trying to escape. A smile played on her lips, slight as it was: she had won. She had her freedom, she was herself, and she had no regrets. Though a dull ache of sadness still lingered in the deepest recesses of her heart, the absence of a love and approval she would never obtain, left her longing, Jess knew that ultimately she made the right decision. A quick glance at Cammie told her that Cammie had not yet reached a decision about whose life she wanted to live. Would she still live for their parents?

A humorless exhalation of air escaped her lips as she took in the scene before her: two girls oppressed by their parents, one free, one still in chains, both still playing the part their parents wanted. For Cammie, it was understandable; but for her? Why was she being so meticulous?

Jess supposed that some part of her still craved that love and acceptance that was missing in her life. Perhaps another part of her, the foolish part, thought that she might still receive it.

"How do I look?" Cammie asked when she finally put the finishing touches on her appearance.

Jess inspected her sister. Her long blonde hair was curled into loose curls that fell down her back and she wore a tight black dress that accentuated her womanly figure. Her feet were stuffed into dangerously high heels that made Jess' own feet just ache thinking about it. Cammie's nails were cut perfectly and painted a nude color. She wore a simple necklace and matching earrings. Cammie's makeup was done to make it look simple, natural, but the deep black of her eyelashes said otherwise.

Jess uncrossed her legs and stood up to toss a few strands of hair here and there on Cammie's head, touched up her sister's lipstick, and gave her the approval.

When Jess finished getting ready, Cammie also gave her an inspection. She swapped out the studded diamonds that Jess had in her ears and replaced them with small gold hoops to match the bracelet she wore. Cammie inspected her sister's outfit. She also wore a slimming dress, deadly red in color and heels, though much shorter than Cammie's. Quickly, Cammie rummaged through her makeup bag and applied a light layer of lipstick to her sister's lips.

"You look beautiful," Cammie said when she finished. She envied her sister's beauty. Though many believed the girls to be twins, Cammie was baffled at how anyone could confuse the two. Jess had striking features, easily distinguishable with the same high cheek bones that Elizabeth brandished like weapons and sharp blue eyes that seemed to penetrate everything they looked into.

"So do you."

Cammie smiled, cherishing this moment they shared. It had been years since the two of them had fretted together over their appearances, helping each other to pass their mother's impossible test of standards.

"Remember when we were kids and we would get ready together?"

Jess nodded in nostalgia.

"I know it sucked, but it was fun."