Chapter 44

Update: it was not fine.

The burning sensation I felt only continued and worsened throughout the day. It was finally at night when I was trying to sleep when I couldn't take it anymore, and I knew something was wrong.

"Are you sure we can't get you seen by Rossi?" Ansaldo comfortingly massaged my back, to see if that will help with the pain.

"It's not a contraction. It's just burning, like an intense burning." I groan, and push my face into the pillow as it started again.

"Alright, that's it. I'm taking you to Rossi right now." He firmly declares.

"No but-"

"Liam, this is not the time to act all tough and stubborn. Now either I can help you walk over there, or I can carry you." He stands up from our bed.

"Ansaldo, it's not anything serio-PUT ME DOWN!" I yelp in surprise when he picks me up bridal style.

I squirmed, but all that did was make him tighten his hold on me. Eventually, I gave up when another wave of pain started.

I bury my head in his shoulder, and suddenly I feel my water break.

"Sal," I look up at him, and he stops and looks down.

"Is your water supposed to be red?" He looks back over to me, his face going pale.

I bite my lip and shake my head.

He picks up the pace to the doctors office, and I almost cry in relief when he gets there.

"Rossi!" He shouts. I hear footsteps walk around a corner, and I'm too scared to lift my head from my mates shoulder.

"He's bleeding, a lot. He's talking about no contractions but a burning." I hear my mate quickly explain.

"That means the twins are distressed. We need to get him into an emergency C-Section right now."

I try not to cry. Instead of going to Rossi when they started, I just sat back and put my babies in danger. I'm so stupid.

"Hey, Li, it's gonna be alright. Everything's going to be okay." Sal whispers in my ear. I can tell he's trying really hard to not be worried as I was, so I just nodded.

I feel him set me down on a rolling medical bed, and they begin to roll me away from him.

"Wait, wait where will Ansaldo be?" I look around desperately at the nurses and doctors.

"He's right behind you, he just needs to put on sterilization clothes. It'll be fine." Rossi explains to me, and I calm down slightly.

They roll me into a room and begin to set up a wall in between my head and my stomach, and they set up an iv, where they put in medication that made me go numb from the chest down.

"If you need more numbing medicine, just let me know. We want you to be comfortable during this." Rossi explains.

I just weakly nod, still worrying about my mate. I just want him with me.

But I didn't have to worry for long. He walked in and slowly made his way past the doctors and by my side, where he grabbed my hand, and I squeezed hard.

"You had me worried." I try to lighten the mood.

"Sorry, I'll try to be on time to the next one." He jokes back.

I feel a nurse put a breathing tube around my face, with the tiny little things that go in your nose. I wiggle my face, trying to get adapted to the weird feeling of air being forced into me.