CHAPTER 3: WORLD FOR THE TAKING

You had never seen that much blood before.

Bodies lying on top of other ones, making it nearly impossible for you to see the ground underneath. Loud screams echoed in your ears, and for a minute you thought you would go deaf because of it. You could barely identify your friends from your foes; that's how many soldiers were there. You, the young queen, were so tired you felt as if you'd drop onto the ground any second now; the pure anger of seeing your people slaughtered, your kingdom ruined, kept you going. So you rose to your feet, your sword swinging in the air once more. Blood splattered onto your face – you instantly closed your eyes to stop the blood from reaching your eyes. When you opened them again only a second later the first person you saw was the one responsible for everything that was happening – the one that they called Ivar the Boneless, and the one that you yourself would kill.

It wasn't easy, that much was clear. He was surrounded with many warriors, forcing you to admit that even if you managed to reach him, you would most certainly die doing so. Yet you couldn't be selfish, not at a moment like this. At least your sister would be safe and able to continue the legacy of your family, a legacy that had lasted for almost a century.

Your sword clashed with another, sending you flying forward. You were about to fall but managed to force yourself to stand still, piercing your sword through a northman's body. It didn't take long for another one to attack; he too shared his countrymen's destiny.

Ivar had noticed you fighting near him, and even though he didn't want to, he had to admit that you were one of the most skilled warriors he had ever seen - it wouldn't have been an exaggeration to say that your skills matched the famous shieldmaiden Lagertha's. He saw the determination in your eyes; he saw how exhausted you were, yet continued to fight. In his eyes that made you equal - he would have even wanted to applaud you for being the bravest person he had seen in England all together.

Attacked from one side, then another, it was nearly impossible for you to move forward. Amidst all of the fighting you lost sight of Ivar; you tried to search for him, but couldn't. Bodies were blocking your sight of view. Just before you were about to give up hope his body on his crutch came into your view. Slashing bodies with no stoppage you ran towards him; he hadn't noticed you.

Your sword fell to the ground - you would have wanted to pick it up, but couldn't since another Heathen appeared to attack you. With a quick motion you grabbed your dagger, landing it into his neck. He let out a loud yell to which you pulled the dagger out, fully intent on using it on Ivar.

The young man turned around just as you placed the dagger onto his neck - surprise was evident on his face. He probably hadn't thought you would gain a way to him.

But you hesitated - just for a split second - yet it was enough, because the next thing you heard through the chaos were the words you dreaded to hear the most.

"Lower the dagger, or the princess dies."

You recognized the voice as Hvitserk's before you could even glance at the source of the voice. Your eyes stared into Ivar's icy blue ones while the man simply smirked at your actions. He knew even before you did that he would not die there – Hvitserk having your sister in his arms only confirmed that. He was sure that it was because of his brother's interference he was still alive, and not lying on the ground on his way to Valhalla.

"Don't do it Y/N, kill hi-" Darelle pleaded, stopping when Hvitserk forced the blade more forcefully onto her neck. It was then you dragged your eyes from Ivar and focused on your sister instead. You were expecting to see your younger sister with tears in her eyes and frightful for her life, but instead Darelle had a determined look on her face. It was evident to you that Darelle was not afraid to die, and would even prefer death than being a slave for any Northerner.

"Kill me. And your sister." Ivar casually commented, waving a hand in Darelle's direction. He didn't have any fear in him – it was that moment you realized that all of the stories you had heard in your childhood were true. All of the stories about the men and women who had killed your father were true.

The world seemed to stay still as everyone stared at the two figures standing in the middle of the court. The whole fight had stopped; both of the fighting sides knew that if the queen of Essex were to kill Ivar the Boneless, the fight would be finished. You would become a legendary queen, and the invaders would have to return to Kattegat in shame.

When you finally let the knife drop onto the ground, you were grabbed in an instant. A set of arms forced you to kneel right in front of Ivar who was watching the whole ordeal with a smile on his face. Your eyes found your sister who was dragged away by Hvitserk, and you could clearly see the disappointed look in her eyes. And even though there was no fear in Darelle before, there certainly was now.

"You should have killed me, queen of Essex." Ivar threatened with a low voice, kneeling down to your eye level. "After I am finished, you'll wish I'd kill you."