CHAPTER 8: ANOTHER SOUL TO STEAL

"Block, and attack." Darelle found it hard to hold the heavy shield in her arms. Combined with the biggest sword she had seen, the young girl thought she would crumble under the weight of the weapon. You didn't give her any moment to rest, attacking almost instantly and throwing blows Darelle barely managed to block.

"Fight, Darelle!" You commanded your younger sister, your sword swinging in the air which Darelle - this time - managed to block quicker than the previous ones. In an instant the girl replied aggressively, striking you and almost managing to hit you if only you hadn't reacted quicker than her. In an instant your dagger was on her neck; a proud smile appeared onto your face, matching Darelle's as the two of you sat down onto the grass to catch your breaths.

"We have a lot of training to do." You started, throwing a look to your sister from which she could easily see the determination. The girl couldn't understand why now out of all times she needed to learn to fight; she had managed fifteen years without a single fight in her life. Of course she was no queen, hence the reason why your mother focused solemnly of your fighting abilities and not hers.

You remembered the many days your mother would command you to attend fighting lessons; out of all the memories, those ones stayed fresh in your mind. She herself had learnt the art of war, and was certain her daughter - the future queen of Essex - would need the knowledge of battle. Whenever you fought, Darelle would always sit on the grass, her eyes glued to you and your every move. To her, every move you made seemed graceful, even when your opponent managed to knock you onto the ground.

"I need to know you're safe when we go to Kattegat. I cannot fight in peace knowing you could get hurt, and Hvitserk won't be the-"

"What do you mean when you fight?" Darelle questioned in confusion; letting out a small sigh you turned your attention away from your sister and focused on all the people walking around. The warriors of Harald's kingdom were fully preparing for the war, one that you were determined to fight in.

This was not your fight, yet Ivar had made it yours. He didn't have to command you to fight alongside him on the battlefield; the words he had chosen so carefully made the consequences clear if you acted opposite his wishes. You were sure that whatever Darelle and Hvitserk felt for each other, it was not enough to make him go against his own brother in order to protect your younger sister.

"I miss Essex so much." Darelle whispered quietly under her breath, barely able to keep the tears away. It brought her great sadness whenever she thought of her beloved home. As hard as it was, you forced the image of Essex away from your mind. Whenever you would think of your kingdom, your heart would become numb, and the tears would start flowing down your cheeks. Darelle was miserable enough, and for the sake of her you pushed the images away, assuring yourself that you needed to stay strong for the sake of her.

"I know, my sweet sister. But I promise you, one day we will return home, and we will take back what is ours." Once again, Darelle saw the all-too familiar determination in your eyes; by now she knew that your promise would be fulfilled. The look in your eyes assured Darelle that even if it cost you your life, you would do anything to make Darelle see Essex once again.

"And no heathen can stop us from doing so."

***

It was hard not to notice the large group in the middle of the kingdom, and the loud yells and screams falling from their mouths. Sharing a quick look with Darelle, the two of you walked closer to the commotion; without having to say anything, the people allowed you to pass, even though their glares showed their reluctance of doing so.

It the middle of the crowd stood Headmund, Ivar sitting right in front of him with a smug look on his face. His eyes glanced at you and Darelle for a second before he again focused on the bishop. Heahmund had a knife placed into his hands; it didn't take long for you to realize that Ivar had decided to test him and his allegiance to him. As much as you desired it, you knew that the man would not do anything towards the new king of Essex. If he'd do so, his death would be quick to follow.

The knife fell from his hands, even though it was quickly caught by Ivar. You didn't hear what words the two men exchanged, yet they were something that made Ivar laugh out loud before his eyes once again found you. The smile from his face fell, and with a quick motion of his knife you had no choice but to move next to Heahmund. The bishop looked at you with slight fear in his eyes, especially when Ivar handed you the knife he had just held in his hands.

"We now know that bishop Heahmund will stand with us against my brothers in Kattegat. Let us see if my future wife will do the same." A smirk appeared onto his face, and even Harald became interested to see what you would do, even though he had barely paid Heahmund any attention before.

When you wrapped your fingers around the cold handle of the knife, a deep desire grew in you to use it against the person responsible for the greatest misfortune in your life. You stopped imagining all the possible scenarios of what would happen to you, realizing that it would bring you great joy to see Ivar's dead body lying on the ground in front of you. For a second, Darelle even slipped from your mind, until you remembered her again when her hand squeezed yours.

Letting the knife drop, the same people who had stared at you with hatred only moments ago, let out a cry of loud roars as if they accepted you and the fact that they would have to fight alongside you on the battlefield. When they noticed your raised hand they stopped, silence taking over the whole crowd. Turning around, your eyes fell on the men and women you had heard wonders of, yet who were just as ordinary as yourself.

"People of Vestfold, I, queen of Essex, future queen of Kattegat, promise you that together no one can stand against the armies of Ivar the Boneless and King Harald Finehair. Riches and power await you, and by the time Kattegat is ours, history will forever remember the brave men and women of Vestfold."

The loud approving yells started once again, now more powerful than before. The people seemed to forget the fact that you were a Christian, one that they days before wanted to kill. Now, their hatred had turned into admiration, and looking at the crowd, even you couldn't stop but to form a small smile onto your face.

His eyes solemnly focused on you, Ivar knew he had made the right choice by bringing you with him. Within the next days, Kattegat would finally have the queen it deserved