Chapter 5

June 12

The nightmares are getting worse. I was plunged into the same scenario, fog surrounding me as my feet sunk into the sand. But this time it was different.

I saw a small shadow pass overhead and the shriek of a seagull. And then the bodies appeared from the mist, five of them lying on the ground, seafoam swirling around their clothes and hair. A seagull landed on one of them, picking out a small chunk of flesh before flying away.

I'm not sure why, but I began to walk towards the collection of bodies. There was a torn piece of purple cloth floating on the turquoise sea. I tried grabbing it, but the waves carried it into the mist, and I stumbled forwards.

That's when I saw it. Mom in her floral dress, Dad with his clunky glasses and striped shirts, May with her oversized sweatshirt, Mira with her conch necklace, and Charles with his thick sunglasses just lying there rotting away. Their bodies were covered in green slime, scraps of kelp dotting cloth, barnacles clinging to skin with stark white ribs sticking out from their bodies.

I gasped, bringing my hands to my face only to discover that I had become green and slimy, and I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection of the sea. I had become one of them.

A seagull swooped down picking a bit of flesh from my shoulder and I scampered away, tumbling in the wet sand. More and more and more crowded me, pushing me into the ocean. I suddenly woke up sweaty and sore.

Mom went out into the garden to try to grow the plants that we bought from the nursery. Her parents were farmers, but I think that their green thumbs may have skipped a generation. I think this is the first time that I've ever seen her in a garden.

She also ordered Mira and May to wash the laundry since our dirty laundry was piling up in the hamper and no one seemed to want to clean it. Mira and May said that it was sexist. I agreed with them, but I didn't want to do the laundry, so I just stayed quiet. Unfortunately, that didn't stop me from being dragged into chores. Mom made me wash and dry the dishes. She could be really bossy sometimes.

Dad took the van and went into town today to see if anything was even open. Mom reminded him to gas up the car. I think gasoline prices would start reaching the high twenties per gallon. California doesn't produce much oil, so we'd have to take it from Texas or some other state and that'd be pretty costly.

When he came back, everyone started to ask him questions. Even though we went to town yesterday, we didn't get to see much around it. "Is anything open?" Mom asked.

"Nothing much," Dad said. "Just some clothing stores and school supply stuff."

"What about gas?" Mom asked.

"It's around twenty to thirty dollars per gallon," Dad said. "And they only accept cash. We've only got one-hundred dollars in cash left and I checked the ATM machines. They're not working."

"Then we don't use gas," Mom said. "No more taking the car out to places, and it's only for emergencies."

"What clothing stores?" May asked, jumping into the conversation.

"Just some old thrift shops. Nothing you'll like," Dad said.

"Well, I need a new outfit. Clara's birthday party is tomorrow," May replied.

"You're not going to someone's birthday party. It's dangerous."

"It's literally two blocks down," May said. "I'm not going to get abducted or whatever."

"Let May have a break," Mom said. "She's been working all day."

She then turned to May. "No new outfit though. And you're going to have to bike there with your brother."