87. Cairns and pale petals

[Reader warning: This chapter deals with death and grief]

It had started off with Ada forewarning Min that she would be disappearing from the Stone Circle for a short while in order to see Raeph. To her surprise, Min had demanded that she wanted to go up to Wysthaven too, as she was sick of the dreary darkness deep beneath the city. Of course, Armestrong wouldn't let her go alone.  And then Lark must've visited the infirmary sometime in the evening, for when Ada woke and prepared to leave the dining chamber, she found not only Lark, but Solen and Diane also ready with their boots on and knives stashed.

The five fae were now gathered around Ada at the base of the copper ladder and, despite her weak attempts, couldn't be dissuaded to stay with the Stone Circle. Still, Ada climbed the ladder up to Wysthaven first. Next came Min, with Armestrong close on her heels. The older woman had vowed to not let Min out of her sight until she was certain the girl had recovered, and even then, Ada doubted she would ever be too far away. Diane came after that, leaning in to help haul up Lark. He had insisted that he didn't need help and, after hooking his elbow around each rung, had climbed without pause. He continued to pretend that Solen hadn't been supporting him the entire way up as she hoisted herself through the compass.

Solen dramatically stretched her arms, earning a glare from Lark that had her breaking into giggles. Ada smiled too, standing a little way off so that she could watch her friends stand together, finally, in complete peace. The air above her shifted, and then Raeph had dropped down at her side, trapping her under a narrow eaving. Without hesitation, she grabbed the lapels of his shirt and pressed a kiss against his lips. He gasped into her mouth, hot surprise, and then his arms were around her waist and she was pinned between his body and the wall.

Lark's whistle broke them apart and Raeph glared over his shoulder. He was breathing a little harder than he had upon his landing when he gruffly said, "I wasn't aware you were planning on bringing an audience along to our tryst."

"Tryst?" Ada gaped, unable to think with the blood rushing to her face.

A sly smile curled Raeph's lips and he leaned down, teeth tracing her ear before he murmured, "But if that is what you desire..."

He let his insinuation linger long enough for Ada scrambled away, now the one whose breath was coming heavier. Raeph laughed as she cursed, her face burning brighter still at the sight of Diane with her eyebrow raised and Solen looking positively gleeful.

"No need to be shy, Ada," Solen purred. "Diane and I have had to get a little creative ourselves after being stuck in that very large, very public chamber."

"Oh hush, all of you!" scolded Armestrong, her hands seeming stuck on whether to cover Min's eyes or ears.

"And don't act like Ada is the only one holding all your affection," said Lark, talking over Armestrong. "We know we'll always have a special spot in that cold, black heart of yours, Raeph."

Raeph's smile faded then, and Ada watched his eyes swim deep and vast. He was looking at Lark's bandaged wrist, then at the bones pointing a little too sharply beneath Solen's collar. He sucked in a tight breath, at the same moment as Lark and Solen, and then they all took two quick steps into the courtyard. The trio embraced, their arms wrapped together and holding one another close. Behind them, Armestrong wiped a small tear from her cheek.

Before beginning to cry herself, Solen wiggled out from between the two men and said with a sniff, "Look, just because the city's been burnt to rubble, doesn't mean we have to turn all soft and mopey. We actually came up here to get things done."

Raeph snorted and turned to raise an eyebrow at Ada.

She gave him a small smile. "We want to go and see whatever's left of the Este Lyceum."