Too Good To Be True

The following day rose to a hot Tuesday morning in the bunker. Nova woke up early to make breakfast for the group. Nova stirred the pancake mix as the radio hummed on low until the Winchester sister heard a song that sparked a memory Gabriel had told her. Dean walked into the kitchen to see Nova using a wooden spoon as a microphone and "singing" to Asia. 

She whipped around and pointed at him dramatically. "Cause it's the heat of the moment!" 

Laughing, Dean began to parade around the kitchen with her, a spatula in hand. "Telling me what you meant! The heat on the moment-"

"Shone in your eyes," they sang in unison. Sam peeked from the doorway to see his siblings jamming out and playing air guitar. With raised eyebrows, he cleared his throat. 

They looked at their brother and began to sing, "The heat of the moment shone in your eyes! It was the heat of the moment, heat of the moment!" 

With a loud groan, Sam shook his head and trudged out of the kitchen. "Not this again!" he wailed. From a counter, Gabriel snickered into his coffee mug and hummed the tune. 

As the song faded out, everyone began to sing. Nova cranked the radio as loud as she could, singing along with Dean. "Carry on my wayward son!"

Boston and Dakota peeked their heads in from the library. "There'll be peace when you are done!"

Gabriel scooped up Ashton. "Lay your weary head to rest!"

With a small smile, Sam joined in. "Don't you cry no more!"

As the group giggled and laughed, Nova finished up breakfast. She watched Gabriel dance with Ashton in his arms, a smile growing across her full, peach lips. Dean talked with Dodger, an arm around her waist. Sam spun Dakota into his arms as she laughed and squealed his name. Boston pulled Castiel closer by his shoulders and kissed his nose, causing the angel's face to glow with a blush. 

"Breakfast is ready! Come and get it!" Nova called from the kitchen. Eight hunters appeared in the doorway, ready to feast. As she handed out plates and grabbed one for herself, Nova tottered for a moment. She stopped walking and shook her head before following the bunch to the table to eat. 

Once everyone was done, Sam and Dean helped their sister with the dishes. Nova and Dean washed, while Sam dried. Nova was quiet and seemed to be zoning out. Neither of the boys realized this until she stopped washing the dishes thoroughly and stared at the water and bubbles. Dean rested a hand on her shoulder, startling her slightly. She looked at her brothers, who looked at her with concern. 

"Are you okay, Nova?" Sam set down the towel he was using. 

"Yeah," she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm just thinking about an errand I have to run."

"And that errand is?" Dean furrowed his eyebrows. 

"Don't worry, guys. It won't take long," she said as she walked out of the kitchen. The brothers exchanged a glance before following her. They saw her kneel to Ashton's height and put something in his hand. The young boy hugged his mother tight, and she kissed his head while whispering something to him. 

With a heavy sigh, she stood up and left. Sam and Dean jogged toward the Impala to follow her. A 1966, navy blue Mustang drove off, and the brothers hurried after. Nova arrived at the Smith Co Memorial Hospital with an unreadable face. Sam and Dean stopped before the parking lot and watched their sister walk in. 

"What's going on with her?" Sam looked at his brother. 

Dean sat there for a moment, unsure of how to react. "I'm not sure. But we'd better find out." He pulled in and slid out of the car. When they walked in, they found no trace of Nova. With anxiety filling their stomachs, the brothers walked toward the front desk.