Dead Winchester Walking

Later in the evening, Nova arrived at the bunker, her face pale and her legs weak. Dean and Sam stood at the entrance to the vault, Dean glaring and Sam's face written with worry. Nova looked at them and swallowed harshly. "What's wrong, guys?" she took a step back.

"What's wrong?" Dean rolled his eyes with a tight-lipped smile. He glanced at his shoes before his head shot back up and he barked, "What's wrong is you having brain cancer and not telling us!"

"Hey, Dean. Take it easy," Sam put a hand on his brother's shoulder.

"Not now, Sammy," Dean growled as he shrugged his brother away. 

Nova's gaze locked with Dean, and she clenched her fists. "Maybe I didn't tell you because I knew you'd react like this! Maybe I didn't want to put another burden on your shoulders! Maybe I didn't need everyone worrying about me!"

"That's what we're supposed to do, Nova! We're family! We should know when you're dying!"

"Hey, guys, keep it down. Ashton is asleep," Sam interjected.

She scoffed, her anger bubbling inside. "I'm not dying, Dean."

"Oh yeah? Is that so? Because last time I checked, Grade four Brain Cancer kills!"

Nova's face fell, her stomach sinking. In an attempt to hide her surprise, she crossed her arms and stood straighter. "How do you know it's Grade 4?"

"We called your doctor and found out," Sam said gently. "Now, can both of you please stop yelling?"

"Shut up, Sammy," Dean and Nova turned to Sam in unison. Sam clenched his jaw before leaving the room.

Dean turned his attention back to his sister, who was now avoiding his gaze. His face softened, and he sighed heavily. "Nova...please look at me."

Nova kept her eyes on the floor and bit her lip. Her churning stomach was starting to get the best of her. Swallowing, she looked up at him. Her eyes widened, and she ran down the hall. Dean called after her as he followed.

He made it to the kitchen to see her hunched over the kitchen sink, her legs shaking. She grabbed a towel and wiped her face roughly before turning on the water. Dean's heart shattered to see his little sister like this. Trying to be gentle, he tapped on her shoulder. She turned around with a green face.

Taking her by surprise, Dean pulled her into a tight hug. Slowly, she wrapped her arms around him. Hot tears stung her eyes, and she buried her face into his chest. Dean felt her shoulders shake, and his t-shirt beginning to soak. She hiccuped softly. "I-I don't want to die, big brother." For a moment, she couldn't find her voice. Nova stuttered, coughed, and hiccuped. Finally, she whispered, "I don't want to die, Dean."

The hunter felt himself breaking under all that was happening. Hearing Nova say big brother caused tears to sting his eyes. He kissed the top of her head and rocked back and forth. "I know, little sis. I know," Dean's voice cracked.

The siblings felt another pair of arms surround them. Sam looked down at them and offered a broken smile. More tears fell from Nova's eyes, and the brothers wiped them away. Tiredly, she smiled. "You should get some rest, Nova," Sam brushed the hair from her eyes.

The Winchester sister nodded and left her brothers' arms to find Gabriel. "And, Nova?" Sam added. She turned around. "We're going to help you through this, okay?"

Nova smiled before turning to wander down the hall. 

The Winchester entered the bedroom she shared with Gabriel to see him sitting on the bed, his face set in anger and other emotions she couldn't read. Nova sat down beside him, and his gaze stayed glued to the floor.

"I know you're mad at me," Nova glanced at him. He shot her a glare before tightening his jaw and looking straight ahead.

"You have every right to be upset with me," she said. "But if you're going to yell, Dean already took care of that."

Gabriel scoffed. "Yeah, I heard."

Nova nodded curtly before continuing. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. And I know that sorry doesn't cut it but I...I'm so scared. I don't want to leave you, or Ashton, or Sam and Dean, or anyone." 

Her voice began to waver and her breathing started sounding ragged. "I'm so scared, Gabriel. This is the one thing, the one thing I can't kill. I can handle vampires, werewolves, demons, ghosts, all of it. But this, this is something I have to ride out and pray for the best." She laughed;
but her face showed no happiness or joy.

Reluctantly, Gabriel met Nova's eyes. They held fear, sadness, and begging for forgiveness. The archangel glanced away, and sighed. He cursed before bringing her into a tight hug as he broke down. He sobbed into her shoulder as tears fell down his wife's cheeks.

"I'm sorry for the way I reacted," Gabriel said sympathetically as the couple released the embrace.

"I understand why you did."

"But that's a horrible way to react. It makes me feel like I'm a shi-"

"Gabriel," Nova scolded. He looked at her sadly before his gaze fell to the floor again.

A long silence passed and, when Gabriel spoke, his voice caught Nova by surprise, and she flinched. "How long?" He wrung his hands.

"What?"

"How long have you known? How long have you been going to chemotherapy?" The archangel said dryly.

"Oh," the Winchester gave him a sideways look. "It's been about a month."

Gabriel finally met her gaze once again, and nodded. Tears pooled in his honey whiskey eyes as he tilted her chin towards him. Their lips softly connected for a long while. As they broke apart, the couple rested their foreheads against each other. Nova sighed. "It can't be cured."

"Hey," Gabriel chided lightly. "Don't be so sure."

"Chuck's already written it," She turned away from him. "I can't do anything about it." 

"Screw Chuck," the archangel jeered. Seeing she didn't laugh, he rubbed her back soothingly. "We'll get through this, okay?"

She nodded again, her nose, cheeks, and eyes red from crying. Nova let out a ragged breath as exhaustion starting to take the best of her. The archangel snapped his fingers, and they both changed into their pajamas. Gabriel pulled Nova as close as he could, and hummed "Let It Be" by The Beatles until he was sure she was asleep.