Chapter I: Daybreak Town

Riviera.

Riviera.

"Riviera!"

It was a different voice than before.

As Riviera opened his eyes, he saw a girl of his age staring back at him. She was standing right in front of him with her arms crossed, with one hand carrying a wooden sword, and her face stricken with an annoyed look. But at the same time, there was a bit of worry hidden in her visage.

"S...Symphony? Is that you?" He asked, but it was more for himself.

She put her hand up and hit him on the forehead with a laugh. "...Obviously? Are you all right there?"

Symphony was one of his two best friends.

A spunky girl who looked more mature than she actually was. She was in her favorite outfit today; she liked to wear a black tank top with white arm sleeves that matched the golden hue of her hair which she always keeps short, and she paired her top with khaki pants and cuff boots. She was an adventurous person who often studied magic and fighting. When she practiced, she was known around the town for always dragging her two best friends to the town square when she wants to spar.

Riviera calmly caressed the area where she hit him, giving her a wide grin that made her laugh even harder. Nevertheless, he was still feeling pretty out of it. What was that earlier? It was too realistic and vivid to be a mere dream.

"Hey, Symphony?"

"Hmm?"

"Did you hear another voice calling my name earlier?" He searched and searched for any remaining memories of the event that happened earlier, but like a dream, it started to disappear slowly from his memory.

Symphony looked at him with a puzzled face. "...Idiot. I was the only one calling you. What, were you expecting another person?"

"No, it's just..." Riviera paused for a bit and clutched his chest with his hand. "...Never mind. Maybe I was dreaming after all."

She scratched her head as a reply. "Aww, don't leave me hanging. Now you got me curious!"

"...Another voice was talking to me while I was at a dark place where the only light was a pillar that I was standing on. Then, I fought these shadows with a weapon that looked like a sword and a key."

Symphony shook her head. "Yep, you're dreaming. You've been doing nothing but snore in the past couple of minutes. You said you're only going to take a sit after our sparring but you went ahead and took a nap in the side of the fountain..."

"...I see."

Riviera stood up and stretched his arms and legs, fixing his outfit which consisted of a blue sleeveless turtleneck jacket fixed by suspenders which were attached to his white shorts. He brushed the sleeves of his black undershirt as he jogged in place. "Well, for now, I'll go and take a stroll around town. Maybe it'll clear my head somehow."

"Good idea! I'm heading home for now, I guess. Take care." She took the other wooden sword which Riviera used in their sparring and headed the other way, waving goodbye.

"Now, then..." he remarked to himself, and started to walk around Daybreak Town.

Daybreak Town: a large town containing many houses and other shops, which is famous for the huge clock tower sitting in the horizon. It was where Riviera lived his whole life, which caused him to sometimes wonder if there are places out there that are like it.

He was in the town square, where a large fountain sat right in the middle. Multiple buildings surrounded the square; the most notable of which was the Moogle Shop, which was owned by a small furry creature with tiny wings on its back and has an antenna with a bright red ball at its end. Somehow, the word "Kupo~!" stuck itself in Riviera's head, making him snicker.