FIFTY

The Sauna Test

That evening, Cat had suggested that they all stayed over at Steve's

That evening, Cat had suggested that they all stayed over at Steve's. She figured it would be easier as it was too late for the others to cycle to their own homes. When they arrived at the Harrington's household, Cat went straight for the phone. She dialled in the number and tapped her foot impatiently while it rang.

"Hello?"

Catherine let out a sigh of relief. "Mom? Hi, it's me."

"Oh, hello dear. You're out late."

"Yeah, Steve had to stay late at work..." She hated lying to her mother, but she couldn't say that they were spying on Russians.

"Is Dusty with you?"

"Yeah. Yeah, we're staying the night at Steve's. I hope you don't mind. I just thought I'd call and let you know."

"That's fine, dear." Cat could hear her mom take a deep breath. "Actually, there's something I need to talk to you about."

Catherine's eyebrows immediately furrowed as her mind thought of the worst. "Wh- what is it?" The words seemed to get stuck in her throat.

"I have to go out of town for a few days, maybe even a few weeks. So I'm going to miss-"

Cat cut her off, her face falling. "-Dad's anniversary..."

"What about Dad's anniversary?" Dustin asked. He had been eavesdropping on his sister's phone call.

Cat waved a hand at him. Everyone who knew her knew that when she did that it meant she'd tell them something later. "But you never miss Dad's anniversary." Cat frowned, turning away from Dustin.

"I know, Sweetie. But I can't get out of this job trip. It's very important. I need you to understand that."

"I do. I do understand. But, can't you just, go after?"

"I'm sorry, Sweetheart." Cat could feel the tears welling up in her eyes. She sniffled, pulling her sleeve over her hand and using it to wipe her face. "I'm gonna need you take real good care of your brother, okay?" Cat nodded, forgetting that her mom couldn't see her. "Can you do that for me?"

"Yeah... Yeah, I can do that. Of- of course I'll take care of Dustin."

"And Steve's welcome to stay over while I'm away to help you. Just no funny business."

Cat giggled slightly. "Of course."

The mother and daughter exchanged 'goodbyes' and 'I love yous' before they hung up and Cat put the phone back on the receiver. "You okay?" Dustin asked as Cat turned back around to face him. "What was that about?"

"Mum's going away for work." Cat mumbled, walking into the living room and curling into a ball on the couch.

"How long?" Dustin took a seat next to her.