12

Maera clutched Lachlan's forearm wrapped snugly around her waist, sending him a silent message he promptly ignored. As much as he would have liked to decline the offer, Lachlan didn't dare risk it.

Not only would doing so pique Rhys's and the other's curiosity more than they needed at the moment, Lachlan willingly admitted he'd grown increasingly concerned about Maera remaining in her soaked dress for much longer. Violent tremors shook her frame, leaving no doubt she was freezing.

"Lead the way; we'd be glad to share your fire."

Rhys winked at Maera again, then motioned for the others to take a step back and inclined his head in a courteous nod. He mounted his horse, then waved for Lachlan to follow.

"You know t-these m-men?" Maera stammered through chattering teeth over her shoulder, keeping her eyes fixed firmly on the man riding ahead of them Lachlan had called Rhys.

Lachlan bent his head low and nodded, "Aye-well, Rhys and Finley, I do." He flicked a glance at her, "All is well, Maera. Stay clear of Finley, but Rhys is a good man. We grew up close as brothers; I trust him with my life."

She turned, bringing their mouths to within an inch of touching as she whispered, "And m-mine, Lachlan?"

He swallowed, unable to tear his gaze from her haunting grey eyes. "Aye, lass... no harm shall befall you at his hand."

Maera looked deep into Lachlan's eyes and saw the truth of what he spoke there. Did it make her the worst sort of fool to place her trust in him or his assurances of safety? Possibly.

But considering her present situation, and that he'd shown capable of keeping her alive thus far, she didn't think she had any other option. "If I die because of you-"

"You won't be dying so long as I'm by your side, lass," Lachlan interrupted in a fierce whisper, unable to bear the thought. He paused, cupping her chin in his hand before adding, "On that, I give you my solemn vow."

But Maera couldn't count on being by Lachlan's side for much longer, and they both knew it. She needed to find someplace safe, far enough away from Kenneroch, Hamish, and her coven, and Lachlan couldn't be a part of that-despite the pain growing in her heart at the thought of being without him. He had his own problems to worry about; the last thing he needed was to concern himself with her wellbeing.

"Where did you find your woman, Lackyboy?" Rhys said as his horse fell in step beside Brutus a moment later, "And be there any chance she has a bonny friend for me to woo and wed?"

Lachlan forced a laugh, slowly lowering his hand to rest at Maera's waist before turning his attention to Rhys. He ignored the last question, believing it was uttered in jest and answered the first. "The fates brought us together nigh on a month past."

Maera did her best to ignore the burst of delight within her chest at being called Lachlan's woman and remained silent. He may be willing to trust the man, but she wasn't. Not yet, at least.

Rhys nodded, but his eyes took on a calculating gleam, "Be she striga or bardus? T'was a fair display of magic a moment back, like that of lightning dancing in the clouds roundabout you two, t'was."

Lachlan glanced at Maera, then met Rhys's gaze with a slight nod. "Aye, a witch... and it's happened afore-a gift of the fates I'm beginning to think."

Rhys shrugged and grinned, "Or a curse more like, especially where you be concerned. Call me a foolish man, but I don't think catching myself on fire whilst in the throes of passion t'would be enjoyable."

"True, but it does put an altogether different meaning to burning with desire," Lachlan softly chuckled, "doesn't it?"

Rhys laughed, "Aye that it does." After a moment, he turned to Maera, "So, you are a witch, then?"