25

Silence.

Lachlan stared ahead unseeing, feeling as though she'd knocked the air clean out of him. Lucida had been there—had known a significant part of his secret past the entire time, and she'd chosen not to share it with him. He expected to feel anger and betrayal, but couldn't summon the emotions into fruition. Instead, and much to his surprise, relief and a deep sense of rightness flowed through him with the news.

"You and I were destined to be together," Maera continued softly.

Her words struck his heart with a thud, and he couldn't help but wonder if that was why he'd felt such a strong sense of familiarity upon seeing her the night he'd first stolen the Dragon Tooth Stone. He hesitated before asking, "How do you feel on the matter?"

To say she'd been shocked when Lucida first told her would be an understatement, considering she'd almost fainted. But once the initial surprise wore off, joy and peace had consumed her entire being, confirming that Lucida spoke the truth.

"'Tis unexpected, I admit..." she said after a moment, "but not wholly undesirable."

Lachlan grinned. "Does this mean you'd accept a marriage proposal from me if I asked?"

"Quite possibly... I can't say for certain until you try."

His heart thudded against his ribs. "Will you marry me, lass?"

"Aye," she whispered without hesitation, wanting nothing more than to wrap herself in his warmth, let the whole world pass them by, and the threats of Nathair and Drummond cease to exist.

He tilted her chin and stared into her eyes as he declared, "Tonight, then."

Her stomach flipped with excitement, and she nodded, unable to keep from smiling, even when Rhys and Lucida directed their mounts alongside Brutus.

"You've every right to be upset with me for not telling you sooner, Lachlan," Lucida said, her posture stiff as though she braced herself to face his ire.

"I'm not."

She studied him for a moment, but instead of her body relaxing with relief as he thought she would, Lucida cleared her throat, "That may soon change. There's more of that dreadful night I need to share with the both of you."

A knot formed in his gut, causing Lachlan's hands to tremble. "Go on, say what you must."

"T'was I who delivered you both to Millstone that night." Lucida hesitated and glanced at Rhys. At his nod, she swallowed and continued, "I was entreated by both of your mothers to save you in any way I could, and protect you against Drummond's vile scheme."

Maera's mouth fell open on a horrified gasp. "He was behind it?"

"Aye..." Lucida nodded. "He arrived the night of the banquet wielding the Staff of Exitium to exact his revenge."

Lachlan looked at Rhys, "You knew?"

He shook his head and lifted his shoulders in a small shrug. "She revealed the details to me last night, Lackyboy... sought guidance on how to tell you."

Staring at Lucida, the knot of anxiety and dread within Lachlan's gut bloomed and transformed into an unwavering fury, shaking his voice when he said. "Tell me everything."

Her shoulders slumped forward, and she sighed. "Years ago, long before he became Master of the Deepwood, your mother was promised to Drummond as a reward for his aid to her father, Gregor Oakenrock, during the Battle of Wylf. However, t'was a promise manipulated by dark magic, and given against his will. When Gregor learned of Drummond's treachery to obtain her hand, he refused to honor the arrangement."