CHAPTER FIVE

Chapter five

King Fergus had set the northmen up with a large room between them all, with Ragnar, his son and his personals in one of the guest rooms that were similar to those that the other lords slept in. His hospitality had come as a surprise to both the vikings and the people of Dunbroch.

For Ragnar, he felt as if King Fergus held similar interests to that of his own, and that intrigued him more than any other venture that he had set sail in. What intrigued him more, however, was not the king, but the princess. She was the same wild, redhead that he had seen in the woods, on the way to the castle. Inside she was more placid, obeying her mother, but Ragnar could not forget the image that he had only seen, of her standing on a horse and shooting her bow and arrow, that had not reappeared by her side. The princess, who they had not yet been introduced to, reminded him of Lagertha, a strong and adventurous woman.

As for Merida, she had avoided the Northemen at all costs. She, unlike her father, was unsure of their intentions. Why would a man like Ragnar want his son to marry her? And Bjorn, she hadnt spoke to him. She had seen so little of the Northmen in the days leading to the first round of competition, that she had forgotten his face. Unlike the lords' sons, he hadn't sought her out, wishing to sweet talk themselves into her favour. Perhaps they wished to attack, she thought.

Even king Fergus had his doubts, but he remained as happy as ever, continuing the celebrations with aid from her mother. If anything, the whole deal had been made even bigger with the arrival of the foreign men and women, much to Merida's annoyance.

Merida had managed to remain in her room for three whole days after the introductory feast, avoiding all but her brothers who slipped her food. She hadn't even been to see Angus, and instead bribed her brothers to feed him daily and take him out. In her eyes, being antisocial had the potential to drive the suitors off, but if anything, it just made them even more determined.

And it made her mother even more furious.

"Merida, you are embarrassing yourself and our family." Elinor said, as she barged into her room, waking Merida from her sleep. She had pushed her luck too far. "You must come down to greet the lords now. They are preparing for a hunt with your father."

As the queen fussed over her, Merida brightened visibly. The word hunt was enough to get her to straighten her back and drag herself from bed.

"Perhaps I should go with them. Clap when they catch something. Talk to the sons on the trail." Merida suggested, and her mother stopped, biting her lips as she contemplated the idea.

"I suppose." Elinor said, trailing off as Merida began to beam. "But you must be on best behaviour. One of these boys will be your husband in the future."

She ignore the last comment as she turned brushing her long locks slightly, before forgetting about them completely. Her best riding dress was swiftly pulled over her shoulders and laced as Merida attempted to stay within her mother's favour.

"Thank you, mother." She said finally, kissing her in the cheek before scurrying out of the door.

Her pace was quick as she glides down the main stairs, only slowing when the hunting party came into her sight from where they gathered just outside of the door. As she advanced on the group, her father turned to beam her way proudly.

"Are you joining us in this hunt?" Young Macintosh asked her, with a charming smile.

Merida nodded, smiling forcefully in return, her hands clasped gently in front of her. "I wouldn't miss it."

"I'm glad to hear." Macguffin added in, as he came to stand between the two.

She could tell that the ride to come would be suffocatingly boring. Both boys felt a need to get a word in after the other, scared that without their presence, she might be swayed or seduced. To Merida, it was comical, the fact that they were worked up over such small things. But, then again, to them, this was important. To her, she wished to avoid it completely.