CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Chapter fourteen

The fire pits were lit across the across the room casting a warm but eerie light across the other wise shadowy room. It was early evening but the sun was already close to its bed behind the mountains, due to the lateness in the summer. All across the hall, the people of Kattegat huddled together, drinking cheerfully with the newcomers.

Though they were occupied, Merida could feel eyes in her. She stuck out like a fish out of water. Whether it be the fact that her hair was the colour of the fire that raged in the centre of the room in contrast to the muddy or ice like head that filled the room, or the fact that she hadn't said a word since she had sat down beside Lagertha, she didn't know. She was surprised that they weren't mean about it. There were no glares like there had been when the northmen showed up next to the Lords. Instead there was curiosity and intrigue, much like the gazes she and her father had shared with Ragnar in Dunbroch.

"Princess?"

It took her a moment to realise that Lagertha was calling on her. Though she knew the new version of the word, it's meaning hadn't yet sunk in completely. Merida had hoped that the title would disappear once she landed in Norway, but it appeared that they used it like a nickname.

"Lagertha." She smiled to the woman, nodding in thanks as she was passed a cup.

"Ragnar told me about you." She said kindly, speaking slow so she could comprehend the words one by one.

"Good things?" Merida asked, and she nodded.

"Very good. You are very brave." Lagertha said. She pointed to herself. "You remind me of myself when I was your age."

"Thank you." Merida said, inside of what else she could say.

"Very charming." Lagertha said, speaking mostly to her sun, patting him in the shoulder. "Bjorn, has she met your brothers?"

"Only you, Lagertha."

"I'm honoured to be your welcome, but you must meet the rest." She said, turning her around so she would face the many other people in the large room.

"The priest?" Merida asked as Bjorn guided her around Lagertha and toward the middle.

"Athelstan!"

The man that Bjorn called on turned happily toward him, pulling him in for a short hug. He was much shorter and smaller in size than most of the others. Merida had never met a Northumbrian before.

"This is Princess Merida. From Dunbroch."

"Dunbroch?"

Athelstan stared at her in disbelief. The kingdom of Dunbroch had always been secluded and tough, allowing no one passed their borders, and to see their princess in front of him in Norway, was hard to believe. He wondered if they kidnapped her, but she seemed content, a smile on her face and her cheeks flushed from the drink.

"Incredible." He whispered, shaking his head once again.

"From Northumbria?" She asked slowly.

"Yes. I speak your-" he began, but Bjorn interrupted.

"She is trying to learn ours."

"I'd love to help." Athelstan nodded, looking to the girl.

"Thank you." She nodded, not knowing what else to say.

There was a pause between them in which Athelstan stared at her in amazement and Merida glanced between Bjorn and the priest awkwardly. She had nothing to say, well nothing that she knew how to say. It frustrated her, not knowing how to express herself how she wanted to, but she knew it would all pay out in the end.