Chapter 6

When we stepped in the hallway I couldn't help but gasp. This house was so huge!  Calling it a house seemed like an understatement of the century. This was a mansion. A very beautiful one at that. From what I could see, this mansion had several floors.

I had no idea what floor we were in but Gabby as usual seemed to know my puzzlement since she told me we were on the third floor and that this place had five floors!  I was starting to get creeped out by how this woman seemed to know what was going on inside my head. But the excitement flowing through my body didn't allow me to dwell on that.

I had never seen anything so extravagant and beautiful as this in my whole life. That is except on movies. Again a flash of pain rushed through my body when I remembered where I called home.

Gabby took me to a lift and smiled softly at me as she typed in some numbers. Now I was seriously weirded by her behaviour. She seemed to understand everything I was thinking and that is not normal at all.

I pushed those thoughts behind my brain when the lift came to a standstill. Nerves kicked in almost immediately. I had no idea what lay beyond here. The  notion of meeting new people and especially those that were supposed to be my parents made me all bothered. I could feel my palms start becoming sweaty. If Gabby noticed my discomfort, she chose not to acknowledge it this time round.

We stepped out of the lift and I almost fainted then and there. I didn't think I was ready to start facing the truths I had been told about. I was about to turn around and go back the way we came down even though I had no inkling how to operate a lift or anything, but Gabby held my hand in a surprisingly strong grip. I was startled and the took that opportunity to pull me towards a closed door.

When the door opened, the sweet aroma of food filled my nostrils and I could have sworn I felt dizzy for a moment. My eyes landed on the different kind of foodstuffs placed on a table that I assumed was the dining table. Oh gosh, I felt my self control slip away and I rushed forward.

Gabby let out a laugh and asked me to settle on one of the chairs. She then served me a huge helping of the different kinds of food before me. I had  been to many diners but I had never seen such kinds of dishes. They must have been foreign or something but that didn't matter at the moment.

As soon as food landed in front of me, I dug in without caring how unlady like that seemed. I practically gobbled down everything and in a matter of minutes there was nothing left to the huge amount of serving I had gotten. I had managed to surprise even myself there!  

I looked up at Gabby and blushed. She must think I'm not normal!  But she didn't show anything. She just smiled and gave me a glass of juice and I made sure to drink gracefully this time round. As I was about to finish the juice, the door opened startling me again and I dropped the glass I was holding.

The shattering of the glass as it hit the tiled floor made me jump out of the chair with fright filling my whole being. The glass broke to many tiny pieces and without thinking, I bent down and started picking up the pieces.

Someone shouted at me ordering me to stop and in the moment of panic, I cut my palm with one piece of glass. I gasped from the sudden pain and then winced. I looked up to see approximately twenty pairs of eyes staring at me with different expressions on their faces.

Oddly enough I couldn't feel the pinch of pain from the cut and I slowly looked at it in a daze like manner. I let out an involuntary scream when I saw the cut healing by itself!  There was no way this could be true!  I had to be dreaming! Oh good God I needed to wake up from this nightmare.

In a flash of a second, Gabby was beside me and she supported my weight when I swayed. I looked down at my hand and there was not even a single sign of a cut!! I pinched myself to see whether this was real. However cliche it sounded I did it the second time and the pain that I felt confirmed that it was not a dream.

I looked around me and noticed everyone gaping at me and that increased my anxiety levels to a hundred degrees. I swayed again and Gabby held me up. Everyone seemed to be in a kind of spell since no one was talking. I looked up at Gabby and she had a certain far away look. She looked like she was in deep thoughts.

I couldn't take it anymore and I just wanted to forget. I wanted to go back to my old life. The questions running through my mind made me feel dizzy. I could feel an oncoming headache. I was so confused and frustrated such that I knew naught how to react.

I felt so many emotions flashing through my body. I felt like crying, I felt like shouting, I just wanted this to make sense. The frustration I was feeling was too much. I was wondering if what I was going through was even fair.

I didn't know who I was anymore. Nothing like this had ever happened before. This was like a movie scene. I wished someone would materialise and shout. "surprise!"     and it would just be a funny not so funny prank.

I didn't realise I was crying until I felt tears roll down my cheeks. A sob followed and that seemed to snap everyone out of their trance. And chaos broke loose.

Everyone started speaking at once!  I felt so overwhelmed such that I knew I couldn't take it for long. I was already super anxious and they were not helping. I couldn't even fathom whatever anyone was saying. I just picked up small bits.

"she healed by herself"
"amazing"
"impossible"
Among other things. I felt the frustration build to an extremely dangerous level. I was feeling like I would lose my mind anytime. I wished for this to be taken away. The agony was getting unbearable and I could slowly feel myself give in to the dark peaceful void that seemed to be beckoning me.

"Andrea you have to hold on okay? Please breathe. Just breath please!"

Somebody was encouraging me and that voice sounded vaguely familiar. I couldn't breathe properly and however much I tried, I couldn't seem to get air inside. I was suffocating and panic gripped my insides.

When I felt like I was getting a grip of the situation, the door opened again and in came a woman. The woman suddenly cried out,

"daughter!"

And I let the darkness engulf me.

❤️