5. A picture speaks louder than a Thousand words.

The nights that followed were an exact copy of the first.
Nathan had even tried to place a pillow between them, but had woken up in the same position with the pillow on the floor. It was a minor miracle that Tarek did not notice that he spent his nights mostly buried under him. Actually, he didn't know what made him crazier; their bodies entwined or the moans of protest as he separated from Tarek?
The routine of everyday life was the only thing that kept him going. Just a week ago, he would have stated with confidence that he didn't shy away from any challenge. Now he wasn't so sure of his case.
He refused to accept that he was attracted to Tarek. This is what his waking brain told him. His subconscious came up with a very different scenario.

"How's Tarek?" asked Marwon with interest. "Is he making good progress?"
Nathan wiped his damp palms over his knees.
"His progression is impressive. My intervention team is already complaining about his winning streak."
Dark eyes took him in piercingly.
"Do you think I made the right choice?"
Nathan tasted no doubt in the old man's voice.
"That's not up to me to determine, sir."
Nathan kept his gaze respectfully averted and missed the dark eyes that constantly probed him.
"I don't need mindless follower's, boy," he grumbled in deep voice. "Speak freely."

Nathan thought about his answer.
"Whether your choice is right or wrong, I cannot say. It depends on your motives. You refuse to comply with his request and force him into a fight. As a soldier, I recognize the need for forced growth. I don't know if Tarek will experience it that way."

Marwon nodded.
"I set him an impossible task because I thought I knew for sure that he would backdown. His tenacity fills me with pride, but also creates a dilemma."
He clenched his fist.
"I want my PA back. That's why I'm putting a deadline on this trip. I'm giving him three more weeks and that will be the end of this nonsense."
Nathan frowned.
"Do you really think this is best for Tarek? Maybe if you knew more about his original motivation?"
"Hm," the man nodded. "Good plan. I'll leave it to you to find out what his intention is. I'm sending you to New York together. Tarek has already been notified. And Nathan? Send my regards to your mother."

On returning to his room, Nathan saw Tarek was packing.
"Did you know about this?" he asked leaning against the doorpost.
Tarek shrugged.
"This gathering has been on the calendar for months. I didn't know grandfather still wanted to send me," he replied without looking up at his work.
"Are you coming with me?" he asked, genuinely surprised, when Nathan walked past him and packed his suitcase. "Is this the reason he wanted to talk to you?"
The demand in his voice was still a little weak, but Nathan smiled knowing that grandfather and grandson were very similar.

"The Head of the Al-Din family does not share his motives with the hired help," he shaded, ignoring the little pang in his heart. "He did inform me that he is stating a term to you challenge. You've got three weeks left."
Tarek's head popped up so quickly that the short curls on his head seemed to dance.
"That's not fair," he shouted loudly.
  "Why has he changed his mind?" he said in full demand.
Nathan let his gaze slide over the proud attitude and nodded approvingly. 
"He misses you," he replied softly.

Tarek snorted disgruntled.
"You're as bad as grandfather by flattering me with words he thinks I want to hear."
Nathan crossed his arms demonstratively.
"Are you saying you don't miss him?"
Tarek dodged his pressing gaze and shrugged.
"I'd love to have a little more control over my own life," he muttered.
"Why don't you tell him this?" pleaded Nathan.

Tarek bit a bitter guffaw.
How could he ever tell you why he wanted freedom? He loved his job, from his family, but he would never be able to meet their wishes to marry a wife and start a family. Asking for freedom was like waving a red flag.
If only his grandfather had just agreed to his request, everything would have been fine. Then he could have built a modest existence in anonymity. Now he was in a position with too many eyes on himself and that could only lead to more misery.
"I'm done packing. Our car leaves in an hour. Please make sure you're on time."