7. Midnight Delight.

Soon after the 'incident', as Nathan called it, they had picked up their old routine. He ignored Tarek and after a while he had taken the hint. Now they ignored each other. The only interaction Nathan allowed himself was the mandatory meetings and training sessions.
The old man had observed their cool interaction with obvious disapproval, but did not comment. However, he had insisted that Tarek continue with elite training. Nathan knew his team would be enthusiastic and left the details to Leroy.

Until now, he had seen an opportunity to avoid one-on-one contact with Tarek, but a quick glance at today's schedule elicited a sharp curse. Apparently, he was out of luck.
"I'm looking forward to the re-match," Leroy said rubbing his hands.
"Tarek is a good fighter. You will find him a bigger challenge than two months ago."
Nathan rolled his eyes. Leroy would laugh his ass off if he knew how true this was.

In his office, he mentally prepared for the confrontation he was about to face. He sighed deeply. Despite his self-imposed isolation, there was hardly a waking moment in which he did not think of Tarek. He missed his company, but was unable to accept the implications of 'the incident'.
'What else would Tarek have expected? That he'd accept him with open arms? They were cousins! Full cousins! To add the not insignificant detail; He wasn't gay!'

Yet he could not escape the memories of the nights when Tarek was buried under him. They teased him with the knowledge that Tarek had never taken advantage of their forced togetherness. Everything had been one-sided. Except for the kiss.
That kiss had changed everything. It created a different kind of bond between them.
Tarek was vulnerable in a way that had nothing to do with muscle strength. His desire to protect him from all the doom in the world grew by the minute, as did his discomfort to see Tarek pinned under the body of another man.
"What if he kissed someone else?"

Nathan knew how they dealt with homosexuals here. Discovery was tantamount to ruining of name and character. Being banished was a light punishment in comparison. The poor and less influential suffered a fate he wished on no one.
He was deeply concerned about Tarek's future. At this point he was still young and his family was fine with him being single, but what would he do if the pressure to get married increased? Was he capable of that? To take a wife? To father children? The idea left a foul taste in his mouth.

Nathan had devoted years of his life to protecting freedom and free will. Now that this was trampled on right under his nose, it unleashed an inner conflict. Walking back to the training room, he realized that the need to protect Tarek transcended all objections. Even those of physical contact. Nathan was willing to bite through the sour apple for his cousin's well-being.

When he entered the room, Dirk met him.
"You're sparring against me. Tarek got a call and had to leave."
Nathan felt a pang of regret and disappointment. Apparently this was clearly readable on his face because Dirk pricked him painfully in his ribs.
"Since when am I day old baloney?" he shouted indignantly.
"Sorry," Nathan nodded ruefully.
Dirk picked him up.
"Man, are you ready for a night out. Fortunately, I know a of a place where the women are willing and the booze will flow freely."
Leroy heard that remark and hit Nathan in the shoulders encouragingly.
"Exactly what you need, boss. A stiff drink and the loving attention of a dark haired beauty."

It took five beers and three shots before Nathan relaxed. He had to admit that Dirk had kept his word. The party stretched over several flat roofs and the atmosphere was good. The booze flowed freely and the women were willing. Looking around, he saw that on his roof, also the largest, mostly foreigners had gathered. This undoubtedly had to do with the bar he was currently leaning against.
In the old part of Dubai, Nathan was always extra wary. Here, the aversion to Western influences was not hidden under social pleasantries and political correctness. Here one wrong move could be your last. It wasn't the place to lose your head.