[07] On The Fritz

CHAPTER SEVEN

PENELOPE

WHILE MY legs are trying its best to get me as fast as humanly possible to the rooftop, my mind is considering all the scenarios I might come to there. The idea I never want to entertain but is insistent on making itself known, is that Fritz has already jumped off the rooftop, her brain busted and now littering around her disjoint body.

When I sneak a glance at the rooftop on my way there, I don't see anyone that's planning to dare the fall from up there to the ground. I'm holding onto that. Because if I don't see anyone there, it's either Fritz has already changed her mind or Eirone has successfully convinced her that suicide has never been the answer.

Everyone has already gone home; no one is loitering in my way. It would even be an easier journey if the floor is not tiled and slippery. I turn right, then left, and right again. Every step I make, it echoes back to me twice the intensity I've given into it.

Black-eyed susan means justice - my brain works on that while I'm running. If Fritz seeks justice, killing herself is out of the question. She should be at the police station, reporting her father to the police to put him behind bars.

I've run out of options but to climb the stairs when I see the elevator not working. It infuriates me when I see Eirone at the staircase. He is not supposed to be here. He is supposed to be by Fritz's side, talking the situation out, but instead he's here as though waiting for me.

I run after him to the rooftop. He closes the door behind him, almost slapping it right in my face. I blow the hair that clings to my mouth, my hand around the doorknob, knuckles white with tension.
"Fritz!" I run past Eirone to Fritz, who boldly stands on the parapet walls that are no wider than a foot. I don't risk touching her though. She turns to me, but only with her head. It is safer that way, I think, because she wouldn't miss her step and wouldn't accidentally fall.

She is expressionless, her mouth in a firm line, her stare blank.

"Fritzie," I call again. The situation naturally summons her real name on my tongue. "This isn't it. This shouldn't have to end like this. You did nothing wrong."

Fritzie doesn't answer. Doesn't move. She doesn't hear.

"If someone deserves to die here, it's your father, not you," I say, and there's a hard edge to my voice. Like I really mean it. Like I wish it. And I feel evil because I don't even feel terrible about asking for someone's death.

Again, no answer. It feels as though I'm talking in the wind. I'm getting frustrated but I can't let it show, not even a tinge, because the way she is right now, Fritzie will break even with a simple raise in my voice.

"If you do this," I say, "nothing will be solved. Suicide never solved anything. It's a cheat, and there's no correcting it once you've done it. Don't run away." I heave myself up onto the parapet wall beside her. "Fight . . . ," I add, "fight and I'll be there to support you."

Fritz brings her hands up to her chest and lets it stay there, appearing as though she's steadying her heart as she gathers the feeling of greeting death that takes the form of solid ground. She's jumping, I tell myself, she's jumping! Grab her or convince her!

"Eirone!" I twist my neck so I can glare at him for behaving like a stone, quiet, still, and useless, all this time. He doesn't look like he's afraid of what would happen to Fritz. He just stands there, his back on us, keeping the mysterious effect he pathetically casts on himself.

"Say something!" My voice breaks. This time, I fully face him.

The guy whirls to face me. He is Eirone but at the same time not. It is as though someone has possessed Eirone to pull off that wide, nasty grin that I've never seen from him before.