[08] The Night of 13 People

CHAPTER EIGHT

PENELOPE

FRITZIE's feet lift off the ground, her arms spread like wings. There's a brief pause as she drifts away from me, up to the sky, at the center of the moon. In that relief of a moment, I've envisioned a day where all of us is happy together. No Hukluban. No Mayari. We're just simple college students, no bigger problems more than school requirements, no powers, no nothing.

I've seen Ame in that brief moment, too. The sky is just turning bronze with the promise of sunset as we make our way towards the rooftop. Soft golden light streams in through the windows, settling on Ame's bright, excited features and imbuing them with an ethereal warmth.

My heart is suddenly full. Blush blooms across my face, as the back of my palm grazes his. That's never happened, not from a memory, but from a hopeless dream. Part of the blush comes from the fact that I'm embarrassed, ashamed even, that I'm walking so close to him. Deep inside me, I think I like it. The other half of the heat in my cheeks comes from the slight attraction I feel toward him. I allow some boldness to stay close to him.

The bright jaunty smile is still there, though it falters a little when I've stopped talking. I catch my tongue, deciding that my words are so trivial and; therefore, doesn't deserve his time. But isn't that the point of all this? Casual conversation doesn't need to be so senseful, right? Still, I withdraw my words.

“Have I ever told you that I've lived my life knowing nothing?," Ame suddenly says, his eyes fixed something on the distance. He leans in on the parapet walls, propping himself up with his elbows. "My mother never told me who she was--- what she really was. They kept me in the dark about the truth which was also the reason why I had no idea of who I was back then." He wheels around, so he's now reclining on the parapet, holding my gaze, at first cautiously like he's afraid to ask something of me, then it becomes confident and I find myself sinking into the abyss of his eyes. And there's no climbing back, not because it's impossible, but because I've chosen to fall deeper into the warmth of his soul. “It was as if I ain’t belong. And I don’t want it. Your words are important to me, Penelope. No matter how useless you think they are, please, let me hear it.” He reaches for me, and his hand is as warm and comfortable as his soul. "Can you say you will do that?”

How I wish it really has happened.

A STRANGLED cry cuts through the air, so sharp I wince.

“This is the  Night of 13 Sinners!” Mayari exclaims as she laughs malignantly. "All of you have committed a sin. Bathala wishes you gone."

"Fritzie!" I scream into the space, my face towards the moon where I can only make out Mayari's silhouette. "Stop this!"

I breathe, in and out. Bullets of sweat start to form on my forehead, and my uniform clings to my body uncomfortably. In and out. The air is dry, and I feel like I'm at a beach, with no canopies where I can go seek refuge. It's getting worst. In and out. Everything else is cold. The floor is cold, and it seeps even through my thick soles. I shiver.

“Stop!”

My eyelids are suddenly heavy with tiredness. That moment, I just wish to sleep. And wake to the bright sun, realize that this is just a bad dream, nothing but a bad dream, and go with the day. I will laugh with Fritz as I tell her how absurd this dream of me is. She will cling to me as we go to the cafeteria.