Chapter three

Present

Oliver rushed to the living room, seeing a white glimmer near the window. His time felt not wasted after all. As he realized what that sense determined.

"Leah?" His trembling voice revealed his ebullience.

The moment he mentioned his sister's name, Oliver realized that was not Leah. There stood a lady in her fifties. She wore a blue terry bathrobe, a gap on the right side of the attire had blood around it. Her hair held short, shorter than Oliver's was, and she seemed pale. They always appeared that way.

"Can you see me?" the woman asked. Staring straight at Oliver, her eyes slightly squinted.

Oliver had just a moment to decide if he should acknowledge her presence. He stood still, out of breath, as his chest moved in a fast rhythm.

It has been nearly four years since Oliver saw a ghost last time. He spent more than a year after Mary's death ignoring spirits. If he ignores this woman, maybe he won't see Leah. But if he recognizes her, perhaps Leah's spirit will manifest, too.

"Yes," he let out a big gulp of air.

"Did you see me before?" a woman asked in confusion.

"No. Just now. Who are you?" He narrowed his eyebrows.

"My name is Ann," she let out a long sigh.

"How long have you been here?" He took a step toward the woman.

"I'm not sure. My son looks older. When did you move here, Oliver?" Her glance shifted from Oliver to the dark window of the living room.

"Two years ago," Oliver's tone remained calm. His heartbeats seemed fast as he kept thinking about his sister.

"It seems like just yesterday to me." She looked sorrowful and confused.

"That sometimes happens—well, when you are dead," Oliver explained. "Is that why you are here?" He motioned toward a gaping, bloody hole in her robe.

Ann frowned. "No. That resolved quicklyas I understand."

"Then, why are you here? Didn't you see the light?" He scratched the top of his head.

"Light?" Her face filled with bewilderment.

"Yes. When you die, you see the light, unless you have an unfinished matter here," Oliver explained.

"What's in that light?" She moved closer, forcing Oliver to feel more strain.

"It's different for everyone. Usually, it's people you loved and lost, waiting for you."

"I didn't see that—I'm worried about my son. Does that sound like my 'unfinished matter'?" The thin line rose between her temples.

"It could be. I can help you, but first I'm going to need to dress." He looked down at his half-naked body.

"Oh, I saw plenty of you, my dear," Ann half-smiled, glaring at the view of the man.

Oliver coughed. "You stay here," he said, motioning with his index finger. "I'm going to put some clothes on, and we will talk. You stay here." He gawked at her.

Oliver rushed to his bedroom, and picked the first clothes he could find. A black t-shirt and light blue jeans. He didn't bother with socks, as he wanted to know more about Ann. He dressed quickly, trying to remember everything Mary told him about escorting lost souls to the light. Soon, Oliver took his hairbrush with him and went back to the living room.