Chapter twenty-six

The end of August. Nearly a year ago.

"You can't just wish away this, Leah," Lily said.

"Oliver did." Leah shrugged, taking out plates from the gray dishwasher.

"That is still debatable." Lily cleaned a white mug with a brown kitchen towel.

Three weeks passed since the girls started to work together. The topic of Oliver's ability rose often since Lily seemed very intrigued by him. Lily mostly stayed at Leah's apartment, since she didn't have anywhere else to go. After finding out, Lily rented a room at the motel or slept on the streets. Leah offered the living room couch until Lily could afford her own place.

"What's the gossip?" Cassie walked into the kitchen and perched on a gray stool.

"Nothing," Leah mumbled, closing the dishwasher.

"Oh, come on." Cassie threw her hands in the air. "I heard you two whispering." The girls stared at Cassie as anticipation rose in them. "And I heard you are talking about Oliver." Cassie raised her eyebrow. "I have dibs, by the way." She looked at Lily.

Leah sighed as she realized Cassie heard nothing important. "That will never happen," she said with laughter.

"You know Oliver?" Lily asked, glancing at Leah.

"Of course I do." Cassie bit into a green apple with her small teeth. "As I said, I have dibs." She raised her eyebrow, chewing the fruit.

"Ignore her." Leah waved her hand. "Cassie has a slight crush on my brother."

"A crush?!" Cassie yelled. "I'm full-on in love with him. It would be great if he would stop sleeping around so much."

"Cassie!" Leah shouted.

"What? You know he can't keep it in his pants. And I'm just waiting for my turn." She smiled.

"Come on, we need to get dressed for work." Leah grabbed Lily's hand and swiftly left the kitchen. "Don't listen to her, my brother is not some kind of gigolo. She's just jealous because my brother slept with her friend last week, so she's been extra bitchy lately."

"But you just confirmed he is sleeping around," Lily said, passing the couch and following Leah to her room. "Don't get me wrong, I actually don't care about that. But you know what I care about."

"I don't know what else to tell you," Leah said, opening a white wardrobe. "He stopped seeing ghosts soon after my grandmother died."

"And she was your mom's mom, right?" Leah nodded, placing a white t-shirt on a chair. "Your mom had to have the sight."

"Oliver said she didn't. I don't remember her much, and she left when I was five, so the memories are very vague." Leah looked at the closed again. "Why do you think she has the sight?"

"As I said, you inherit the sight, and it goes to the firstborn. That is why your brother has it and you don't. And you said your mom was the only daughter, so she passed the sight to Oliver." Lily looked around the room.

"Finally." Leah pulled out black jeans from the wardrobe. "Maybe the gift skipped the generation."

Lily shook her head. "It doesn't work like that."

"Wait." Leah halted in the middle of taking off her shirt. "So who has the sight in your family?" She tossed a gray t-shirt on the backrest of a chair.

"My dad." Lily sat down on Leah's bed. "He told me everything he knows." She glanced at the nightstand.

"So."