Tip #3: Crafting a Follow-Worthy Message Board

Author: avadel

Category: Wattpad Tricks

Hello, readers!

In Tip #1, we talked about some of the basics of gaining traction on Wattpad, but today we want to take a look at a specific but important aspect to getting follows: the message board.

After all, why do people follow you? Some people do it to be friendly, for sure, and some people do it so that you'll pay attention to them or provide them a service, like judging, reviewing, designing, etc. However, what is the one and only technical function that a follow serves (other than letting you see private chapters, which we haven't seen in years and aren't even sure exist anymore)?

That's right. They let you see announcements.

(*frantic voice whispers in ear*) What's that? (*whispering continues*) Oh. Yeah. 

The helpful voice in our ear just reminded us that it also lets you keep up with people's newsfeeds. Does anyone actually use the newsfeeds, though? We don't, so we're dying to know.

So, ignoring the mostly outmoded private chapters and the newsfeed we don't know anything about, message boards are the whole purpose of a follow. That means boards often serve an important role in determining who a person follows. Because, let's be honest: how many of you have unfollowed someone simply because their message board posts were starting to annoy you?

If you have or have thought about it, then you can see where we're coming from. And we don't know about you, but unless it's mandatory for a service, we check people's message boards before we follow them to make sure we won't unfollow later—and to make sure they're worth listening to.

Worried now that your message board isn't up-to-snuff? We're here to help. 

Disclaimer: this is based primarily off our own experiences and general marketing tactics, so you may have other ideas or information. If so, we'd love to hear what you have to say! This article is by no means the final authority but rather a (hopefully) helpful guide.

With that out of the way, let's talk about some of our personal DOs and DON'Ts for posting to your message board!

THE DOs
Most accounts that win our follow do at least one of the following five things, or better yet, some combination.

1. Be Helpful
Post information that is beneficial to the Wattpad community. Found a book that deserves more attention? Be its cheerleader; give us a short pitch, the author, and a link in a shout-out. Know of a great opportunity more people should be taking advantage of? Tell us! These opportunities can include awards/contests, giveaways, promotional spots, or something else interactive. These things can include your book but should mostly be for other accounts. Help connect more Wattpadders with each other!