Tip #12: Worldbuilding

Author: Novel_Worm

Requester: Ink_Scars206

Category: Writing Tips

It's an essential feature of any fantasy or sci-fi, and we've all come across books that make us go 'ooh' and 'aah' with the amount of details in the world

It's an essential feature of any fantasy or sci-fi, and we've all come across books that make us go 'ooh' and 'aah' with the amount of details in the world. You've probably wondered how they thought of such stuff, where they got the ideas, and so on.

I'm going to tell you that secret. But before we begin, let me tell you that I'm no expert. My knowledge comes from analyzing fantasy novels for worldbuilding and rewriting my low fantasy novel as a high fantasy. So, it's because of this that I've come to these conclusions.

What works for me may not necessarily work for you, but I have two different ways you can go about creating your world. I suggest using both of these if you want a realistic world your readers can understand.

I'll also explain how you should reveal these slowly so you don't overwhelm the readers with paras upon paras of details without any actual content or relevance.

But first—how to build an engaging and realistic world?

Part One: STUDY.

I'm aware that most new authors on Wattpad are students. So, to build your novel, you should study.

Let me explain.

A realistic world won't exist just for the sake of it. There's going to be a political system, some sort of discrimination, some history, some trade. There are going to be different professions, problems faced by the world, etc.

For example, in our world, we face a problem of global warming and water scarcity which are hanging threats over our head. Similarly, Amanda Mae (Amanda-Mae) creates an overarching problem in her series Twisted Kingdoms—that of the monarchs' Grace waning. When the gods left the world, they Graced the monarchs with theurgy (Mae's version of magic) and gave them the rules to ensure that the monarchs would forever remain Graced. However, due to their blood mixing with the non-theurgic, their Grace is now waning in all the kingdoms, leading to barbaric laws which require young teens to be wedded to nobles to restore the Grace and ultimately make the readers and protagonist question the ethics of the world's system.

The first book in the series, A GRACE OF CROWNS, is free on Wattpad, a Watty 2016 winner, and I'd suggest reading it and analyzing it for more tips on worldbuilding. It's helped me a lot, and maybe it will help you too. 

So, what better way to find worldbuilding problems than to study? Take out your social science textbooks, look at all the topics listed and create them in your world—just ensure they aren't the same.