Chapter 3

Okay, so I am really going to try to make this one longer. Sorry they have been so short! 

[Pic of Jace]

____________________ 

 Dani's P.O.V

It was one of the females. She was glaring at me with her long, flowing blond hair and sparkling, blue eyes. First thing that came to my mind: What they hell does Barbie want with me? I rolled my eyes as she came up to me. By the sound of her low snarl, she didn't like that.

Quickly, I put on a falsetto smile. "May I help you with something?" I asked politely. Behind me I could feel Katie stiffen. She'd never been around other werewolves. Especially ones that looked as threatening as Blondie did. Not to me though, I was too pissed off to be frightened.

She scowled at me. "I don't know who you are, but you can't be strong enough to take down a whole pack on your own. So don't threaten my pack. And do not threaten my mate." Okay, now that was confusing. That guy who demanded to know who I was was Blondie's mate? My life just kept getting better. A new pack in town and now a possessive, overly dramatic she-wolf was on my tail, no pun intended. This was getting annoying.

"Listen here," I told her. "I don't want anything to do with you, your pack, or your mate. Leave me alone and we won't have a problem. Kay?" I didn't give her a chance to respond. Grabbing Katie's wrist, I headed away from the she-wolf.

The rest of the school day wasn't as frustrating as the morning was. No more werewolves came up to me, but I always felt eyes on me and heard them murmuring to each other. So many times, I just wanted to shift and go at them. Tell them to shut the hell up and leave me alone. Never had I been more relieved to get home that afternoon.

Being the good little girl I was, I did my homework when I got home and then went to my room. The house was empty, thank God. My parents were at work, my older brother, Ryan, was at college, my two twin little brothers, Ben and Cody, were at school. They wouldn't be home for another half hour at least. I logged onto my laptop and went onto the school's homepage. It took me not five minutes to locate the seventeen new arrivals at school. There were eleven boys and six girls. It listed their names, ages, date of birth, and classes. When I tried to find out their address, it said that the information was classified. Damn!

To know the territory of the enemy was a good tactic of you wanted to stay away from them completely. All I knew was that they lived in or near the forest. Most people in my town lived near the forest, so that wasn't really a shock. I mean seriously? This was so... ugh! Just kill me now!

Later that night, my parents had come home and we were all sitting at the table eating dinner. My parents and Ryan were talking about his classes. Since last year, everything had been about Ryan and college. It was so annoying how my parents obsessed about him being in college, choosing his classes, or the cost of tuition. Part of me was glad they were distracted, but then a part of me felt unwanted. It's not like I wanted things to go back to the way they were before, because I knew that could never happen. There wasn't a rewind button on life.

Cody and Ben were having a foot fight under the table and when Cody kicked me instead of my brother, I had to refrain from growling. My wolf, and to be honest, part of my human side, wanted to take a swipe at him. Though I couldn't. Only Katie and the pack knew I was a wolf. For now, I had to endure the weight of my secrets.

Jace's P.O.V.

That afternoon, I was in my office sorting through some papers. Paperwork was the absolute worst thing about being the alpha of a pack. And the fact that I was alpha at eighteen didn't give me any bonus points. I was skipping a year of school, what would've been my senior year, to adjust to pack life as the one in charge. No one planned on my stepping up, but I didn't have any other choice. Being the alpha was in my blood.