Chapter 17

January 11, 2011 ( 11:05 pm )

Okay, so I'm really confused right now. I posted chapter 16 earlier today, but apparently it doesn't exist anymore. I'm really hoping it's just because I switched computers and this one doesn't let it show chapter 16, but I'm like freaking out. If I have to write the damn thing all over again, I'm going to be so pissed off. Well, at least it's a snow day tomorrow, but still. All that hard work! Ugh! The one time I forgot to safe it on my hard drive, too! Guess what? Fate hates my guts!

_____________________________________

Dani's P.O.V.

The trucked stopped in front of my house and I was about to get out of the cab, when Jace locked the doors. I scowled at him. "Hello?" I asked. "What is this?"

He gave me an evil smile. Uh oh. What does he want now? "Leaving without saying goodbye?" he asked. God, he's like a girl sometimes. I mean, he's forcing his presence upon me tonight, and he cares about me saying bye? I thought I was the girl in the relationship.

What kind of a relationship do we have anyway? We're werewolves for god's sake. Then again, we're also mates. So where exactly do things stand? Now that we were destined to spend the rest of our lives with one another, and all.

"Goodbye," I said and turned away. I jiggled the door handle and groaned. "Come on, Jace. Just let me out! I said goodbye."

Jace smirked, again for the hundredth time. I really just wanted to wipe that smirk off his face. Preferably with my mouth, but hey, I have desires, too.

"You didn't kiss me goodbye," he said.

"I swear you have a multiple personality disorder," I muttered as I leaned in to give him, what I planned, a quick kiss. Jace wouldn't have that. He locked his arms around my waist and held me against him. I sighed through the kiss and wrapped both arms tightly around his neck.

This was the best goodbye ever!

Then he abruptly cut it off, opened my door, and pushed me out of the car. "See you later, love," he winked.

As he drove off, I stood there shocked. What a jerk! Oh, he was so going to pay for this. That was just plain mean. You can't just kiss a person like that and drive off! Such a tease.

The house was quiet and I entered it timidly. I wondered where my brothers were. Then, Ben ran over to me and put his arms around my waist. He hugged me tightly and I hugged him back. Though he was thirteen and thought it was girlie, he cried. “You were gone,” he mumbled. “I thought you died like Mom and Dad.”

My heart broke at that. It seemed the death of my parents brought us all closer. I couldn’t help the moisture that leaked from my own eyes. Ben looked at me. “Don’t ever think that, Ben. I’m fine. It’s just… I don’t handle these things well.”

“But you didn’t come home last night,” he sniffed.

“I stayed with a good friend last night.”

“Katie?” he asked.