LoreKi #7: You Always Have Been

Here goes a little angst.

---

It was a gloomy day when an accident happened in one of the busiest road in Manila. Loki has been stucked in traffic for 2 hours. He grabbed his phone and composed a message to let the receiver know he's going to be late. As he observes the people in car around him, Loki can't help to reminisce the experiences he had while he was in highschool. Especially the one he had with his friends.

Friends.

When people uses the word friend to label a relationship with someone, it can be interpreted in different ways. On positive side, a friend is someone you can lean on. They can be trusted and can give insights for any problem you have. A normal person probably have a mindset like this. And so is Loki...when his first frie - his only friend was still alive.

On the negative side, a friend is just a person one can use or benefit from. Or in Loki's perspective, a friend is only an excess baggage in his life.

Once you befriend someone, you allow yourself to be vulnerable. They will have something to use against you. He said. That's what he realized when his frie- his only best friend died and taken out by a person namely Moriarty.

That person was at fault. But Loki can't help to blame himself. Margarette was right. Rhea's blood is on his hands.

He then decided to continue the investigation of Moriarty's deeds to avenge Rhea's death. But unfortunately, Moriarty seemed to lay low. No activities for few months.

Then a woman with bangs and a flowy straight hair comes in entering the apartment door with a luggage on her side. Unknowingly, his life as well.

"Hi. I'm Lorelei Rios. Pleased to meet you." She waved and smiled.

Smiles are always forced when it comes to first meetings like this. People jsually wanted to make a good impression to the other. Hm...whatever. He thought.

"Loki Mendez." He respond in uninteresting tone. "Sorry, I'm in the middle of solving a puzzle here so do you mind if you don't disturb me for another five minutes?" It may be rude but he just wanted to focus on doing the puzzle right now. Not that he can't. He's a multitasker, you know.

Loki thought that was the last interaction he would have with the woman but he was wrong. One night, the woman suggested that it would be good if they know each other well since they will be roommates for months. He immediately declined the thought and started deducing her until he hit something that triggered the woman. As a result, the woman didn't talk to him for days. Good.

Loki again thought that was the last time he'll see her, and again he was wrong. She came in again, knocking on the club's door this time, asking it was the club she was looking for. A little argument happened but he ended up helping the woman. He noticed a while ago, as she explains her case, that is very observant. He didn't let that escape him.

When he solved the case, he wasn't expecting any thank you, but he wasn't expecting a slap in a face either. The woman was in rage after knowing that he's been there with her the whole time. Based on her expressions, she was mad that she was used as a bait. And it also seems like he triggered something again.

"The end justifies the means, Lorelei." He said before Lorelei left him at the rooftop.

The next day, he was compelled to apologize but somehow ended up blackmailing her to join the club with the reason that she was in debt with him.

And that's where their adventure starts. And that when also Moriarty resurfaced as well.

As they go further in investigating crimes, most of the time both of them are always on verge of dying. Mostly Lorelei. She was kidnapped. She was almost melted alive. She was held as hostage twice, by Bastien, and a man (for ransom). And tied by one of Cedric's goons.