- Lightning In A Bottle -

Alf went tumbling head-over-heels towards the side of the cliff.

"Alf!" Olivia screamed while the sound of thunder echoed over the peninsula. Stone dug into Alf's back and the world looked like a kaleidoscope as he tumbled out and over the edge of the cliff. As the ocean roared at his back and the wind whistled in his ears, he reached out his fingers and latched onto the hot ledge. Gritting his teeth through the pain, he pushed his fingers deeper into the soft rock, and with a superhuman effort, barely managed to stop himself from tumbling down into the raging waters below.

Darkness engulfed them as Alf's magic light blinked out, and the clouds once more covered the crescent moon.

Clutching the heated cliff closely, Alf started to pull himself back up when Rex shouted, "It's coming back!"

Sure enough, the stream of electricity curved midair screamed across the sky and headed straight for his unprotected back. Alf twisted around and tried to raise his free hand to form a shield, but the hot ledge burned his arm, breaking his concentration. As the soft part of his wrist pressed against the molten rock, his spell shattered, and the putrid smell of burning flesh filled the air.

The vice-champion took off at a dead run. Shooting across the stone peninsula like a bird preparing to take flight, the vice-champion raced out over the top of Alf and jumped off into the void.

Metal scraped against metal as Rex drew his sword with a loud war cry and flew between Alf and the oncoming attack.

Krawboom!

The night sky exploded in light as the vice champion's sword clashed with the bolt of lightning, and the heavens roared as the two magical forces smashed into each other. Purple shadows danced across the vice champion's emerald armor as he sent the arc of electricity flying over the turbulent waves and crashing into the distant cliffside.

Boom!

Rocks and smoke filled the bay, and with no support, Rex tumbled out of the sky.

Falling freely through the blackness, he careened towards the water far below. But seconds before the vice-champion plummeted into the waves, he began kicking his legs and miniature tornadoes of froth formed around his feet. As Rex moved his legs faster than the eye could see, the air reverberated with a heavy chopping sound.

Regaining his balance, the vice-champion raced back up the side of the cliff, grabbed Alf by the back of the shirt, unceremoniously lifted him into the sky, and dropped him at Zaphaniea's feet.

"It's coming back again," the grand champion shouted throwing out her arms. Her sandaled feet planted themselves firmly in the ground; her pink spheres zipped forward, and her eyes glowed golden-orange.

"Who's controlling it?" Olivia called out as she assumed a fighting stance beside Zaphaniea and prepared for battle. Livy's magic-infused eyes searched above the land and below the sky for a target while the wind howled, whipping her white dress about her.

Drakovian's disembodied voice echoed across the stone pavement. "I don't see anyone," he shouted.

"It's coming," Alf suddenly yelled, jumping to his feet as the orb of violet lightning dislodged itself from the cliffside and once again shot straight for them.

Zaphaniea, having seen the future, was already in motion. Maneuvering a sphere into its path, she threw out her left hand and guided her spheres to redirect the attack, but halfway through the action, she stopped. "Wait, I can't..." the grand champion trailed off. She turned to look at them, her eyes wide as she reached out and shoved Alf with all her might, then channeled a shield around herself.