Chapter 12

"Bloody hell, I was just about to send a search party for you. Again!" Phoebe scolded as I left the tent. She sat cross-legged on the grass. "And my arse is damp now!"

I laughed and held out my hand to help her up. "Sorry, I didn't realise how long I'd been." I straightened my jacket whilst she eyed me suspiciously.

"You're looking a little flustered," the corner of her mouth flickered, and it was back to how we once were, best friends and not separated by a five hundred-year-old curse.

"So, I'm meant to be the reincarnation of Lady Kathryn Farthing and you brought me here to break a five-hundred-year-old curse."

"In a nutshell, yes. But you didn't hear that from me."

I gave a troubled sigh. "Let's get back, shall we?"

The corner of her mouth flickered, hope igniting in her eyes. "You're going to stay and help us?" We started on our way back to Burnley.

"There are people depending on me, I feel I should do what I can."

"Did you find out everything you wanted to know?"

I shook my head. "But I think John told me what I needed to know."

We continued on our path, the bare minimum passing between us. We neared the area where we needed to divert from this path and snake up towards Burnley.

"Look who it is," said Phoebe, her tone unfriendly.

Looking up, I saw Rich approaching. He had his hands thrust deep into the pockets of his brown suede jacket, which hugged a ribbed navy jumper.

"Rich! What are you doing here?"

"I was about to call at Burnley to see how you are. But I think that has been answered. Much better I see." He flashed a grin in our direction.

"I am feeling much better. Thank you."

"Are you feeling well enough to allow me to take you on that tour of Barnet?"

"I don't think that's a good idea," Phoebe interjected, whilst my mouth hung open like a fish. She gave me a knowing look. "Anne is still recovering from her knock on the head."

"Is that so?" he knew it was an excuse. "In that case, let me walk you back to Burnley. At least then I know you're safe."

"That's kind of you," I said. "Thank you."

"Yeah, thanks."

The three of us started on our way back to the manor.

"How much do you know about the history of Barnet?" I asked Rich.

"Erm, well a little. My family has lived in Barnet for generations and I work in the library. I've learnt a lot there."

"Do you know anything about John Neville from the 1400s? Ouch!" Phoebe gave me a sharp jab in the ribs.

"Ssshhh!" she hissed.

"The John Neville? The one that died at the Battle of Barnet?"

"Yes, that one!" I cried, ignoring Phoebe.

He gave a shallow shrug. "Not much apart from his death. I know he was from a noble northern family and from what I've read he was a bit of a trouble causer. He would threaten the tenants of his rivals, the Percies. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, no reason. I heard his name when Henry was talking about the battle. That's all."

"Absolute coward if you ask me. Switching sides like he did."