Chapter 4: Checkup

D̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶D̶i̶a̶r̶y̶,̶ ̶ ̶

̶I̶ ̶g̶o̶d̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶w̶e̶i̶r̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶-̶s̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶e̶e̶n̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶g̶i̶r̶l̶. I'm (Y/N). Is that how I should start this off? Either way, enough of me getting sidetracked. This journal thing was given to me by the staff, it came with my room. I don't just want it to sit here collecting dust, so I guess I'll be writing in this. I have an hour and a half of free time before I have to go check up on my patients, so why not spend it on this?

I work at the Rosewell asylum and penitentiary. It's in the middle of absolutely nowhere and houses some of the most dangerous serial killers and murderers in the world. Obviously one would think they'd hate working here, and sure, it's still only my first day and I don't know whether the patients are simply putting on an act or not, but it doesn't seem that bad. The good majority of my patients are very kind to me, and surprisingly docile. I'm really excited to get to know everyone better. So far, Danny Johnson and Brahms Heelshire have seemed to take a liking to me, and I like them too. They're sweet and kind, helping me get my footing in this new, chaotic environment. I can tell some of the staff aren't as happy to work here as I am. One of the Nurses in charge of patient transportation seems to hate her job here, and the cook definitely isn't fond of the patients. It makes me sad to know that people are accepting jobs here simply for the pay and not to actually help the patients themselves. I'll just have to do my best to make up for the poor staff members.

I don't know how to end this journal entry (?) so I'll just do it this way.

Bye, (Y/N) (L/N).

You flip your journal closed, staring at the bland grey cover. Were you really going to keep a diary? You sigh, pushing it further towards the back wall the desk was pressed against, leaning back against your chair until the front feet lifted from the floor ever so slightly. Still, it was only 8:00 o'clock. You had an hour until you had to make your final rounds to check on all of your patients, and then the lights would be shut out. Maybe it would be a good idea to shower and get ready for bed before the 'lights out' time. Standing from your seat you make your way over to your dresser, pulling out the top drawer to grab the complimentary shampoo, conditioner and body wash, along with a new set of scrubs and a towel. You almost forget your toothbrush and toothpaste, then shut the top drawer and slip on the black slides under the dresser. You step out into the hall after struggling to open the door with your full hands, your door clicking shut behind you as you turn to search for the nurse's utilities. You try to remember the directions Melanie had given you earlier, retracing the steps to the cafeteria. This time, instead of taking the right towards the eating hall you take a left and spot a sign reading 'Nurse's Utilities'.

"Good job, (Y/N)," you congratulate yourself for being able to remember where to go, picking up the pace a little as you arrive. You juggle all of your toiletries into one hand, grabbing your keys from your pocket with the other. What key was it again? You have to think for a moment before choosing the blue key, and much to your surprise you're actually correct. "I'm on a roll." you chuckle to yourself. Your memory decided to work for once.

The door opens with a creak as you slip your keys back into your pocket. It's dark in the room, prompting you to glance left and right in search of a light switch. You spot what you're looking for, reaching to flick the lights on before the door clicks shut behind you. Bright, LED lights flicker to life, illuminating a large room that reminds you of a pool changing room.

Lockers run along the left and right walls, another cluster of lockers in the center of the room facing you and dividing the room in two. Benches sit parallel to the lockers. You drop your things onto one the wooden benches and pass through a little doorway between the lockers. The clipped sound of your slides on the damp tile follows you into the second half of the utilities. Stalls run along the wall to your right, wider stalls directly ahead of you. You can see showerheads poking out above the wider stalls. To your left are sinks lined up neatly, with pristine mirrors perched atop. You turn back to collect your toiletries, carrying them with you to the showers. Your towel is hung on the door, and the rest of your things find a place on the counter space that the sinks provide. Slipping into one of the shower stalls, you find yourself slightly amazed at how clean it really is; the showers at pools (it seems that's what you're comparing these ones to now) are always disgusting, but these have obviously been cleaned recently.