Chapter 28: Hardin

It was the best surprise opening up that bathroom door to find Tessa standing there with a towel. I thought I was dreaming, that she was some sort of hallucination my mind made up, but she was really there. I missed her so much it's not even damn funny. I still feel a little uneasy about being with her in Washington again, since the last time we were here together, we had a different type of relationship: a more toxic one. What I was more surprised about is that she ran into her old friend Robert at the craft store. Now, I am not one to usually believe in coincidences. For example, I don't view Tessa's freshman year roommate being my close friend, plus her becoming best friends with my future stepbrother as a coincidence. Tessa and I were meant to meet, and meant to be together. Just as I don't believe Robert being in town the same fucking week as Tessa to be a coincidence.

I join Tessa and Karen in the kitchen. The cakes aren't done, but Karen is describing to Tessa what she wants to do with the cake.

"I was thinking, since you said she likes art, to make it look like a color palette, so have a whole bunch of different colors here and then maybe add some flowers and hearts?" Tessa notices that I enter, but keeps her attention focused on Karen.

"That sounds great, Karen. Thank you."

The attention is suddenly moved towards me.

"So Hardin, have you written anything new yet?" Ugh. The literal last fucking thing I want to talk about.

"Um yeah... A little bit. It's a work in progress." Yeah, a huge piece of work with absolutely no progress at all.

Karen smiles. "Well I am sure whatever you come up with will be brilliant."

I thank her and glance at Tessa, who is staring at her phone with a concerned look on her face. Before I get the chance to ask her what is going on, Abby comes running into the room.

"Hardin!" She screams and tugs on my sleeve.

"Hi Abby." I give her a small smile. She is pretty damn adorable, and I see some of Ken's features in her face, but then she has Karen's eyes.

"Abby, sweetie, are you hungry? We have some extra strawberries here from the frosting."

She nods and goes to sit at the table.

"What are you making, Mommy?" She asks Karen as she puts a plate of strawberries in front of her.

"Tessa and I are making a cake for Tessa's sister."

"Can I have some!?" Abby yells and nearly knocks her strawberries onto the floor.

"I'm afraid not sweetie, but don't worry. I'll make you some cake another time." Abby frowns in sadness, but just goes back to eating her strawberries.

"How about you, Hardin? Are you going to the birthday party tomorrow?" Karen asks as she wipes down the kitchen counter.

"Yeah..." Even though I really don't want to.

"Tessa told me Vance, Kim and Smith will be there, it will be nice to see them."

I just nod and start picking at the holes in my jeans, a nervous habit I have seemed to pick up recently.

"Well, I for one am excited to see everyone and show them my awesome baking skills." Tessa joins the conversation. They both laugh, but I can't even let out a fake one even if I fucking tried.

"Hardin, I thought I heard you in here. What time did you get in last night?" Ken walks over and gives me a pat on the shoulder.

"Pretty late." I try and shy away from his touch, but he still keeps his hand on my shoulder.