Chapter 80: Tessa

The conversation that Hardin and I had last night was a rough, but necessary one. I still feel like if I lose this baby, I owe it to both of us to end things. It breaks my heart tremendously, and I don't know how I'll survive without Hardin, but I cannot be selfish. We are still getting married though. I can't stop that from happening because we already told so many people. Speaking of, I have to tell my mother about our Christmas wedding. While Hardin is still sleeping, I sneak out of the bedroom to call her.

"Good morning, Theresa. Why are you calling this early?" It's 10:00 here, meaning that it's 7 o'clock back in Washington.

"Sorry, I didn't realize it was so early. I just wanted to let you know that Hardin and I are getting married here at our house on December 24th."

"The day before Christmas?" She asks.

"Yeah, we thought it would be easier since everyone will already be here for the holiday."

"I see. Well, I think it's a lovely idea." She approves.

"Great, so if you want, bring an extra pair of nice clothes, or you can just wear your Christmas outfit two days in a row."

"Please Theresa, don't you know I would never wear the same outfit to two different occasions?" She laughs, and I join her. Who would have thought that my mother would be the one to make me laugh. "How are things with the pregnancy?"

I decide not to tell her about my hospital experience, she doesn't need to know. "They're going well. We are going back to the doctors in a few weeks."

"Good. I'm glad." Suddenly, I hear someone say something on my mother's side.

"What are you doing up?" She asks, but I don't think she's talking to me. "Yeah, this is Tessa... sure...."

"Tessa!" Heather's voice comes booming through my phone speaker.

"Hi, Heather."

"I just wanted to let you know that I finished Hardin's Christmas present, and I think it looks great!" She tells me.

"That's awesome! I'm so excited to see it!"

"I'm excited to come to New York City! I have never been!"

The past couple of years, David and Heather went to his parent's house for Christmas, but now his parents are going on some cruise to the Caribbean this year, so she gets to come to New York for the first time.

"You'll love it! And guess what?"

"What?"

"Hardin and I are getting married on the 24th, and I was wondering if you wanted to be one of my bridesmaids?"

"Really!" She sounds thrilled by my request. "Yes, of course!" She cheers.

"Good. You don't have to wear a fancy dress or anything, you just get to stand up beside me when I get married."

"I'm gonna go buy a new dress anyway! This is so exciting! Dad, Carol, we need to go dress shopping!" She abruptly hangs up, but there is such a big smile on my face at the happiness in her voice.

Everything is planned out. I told Kim that Abby and Gracie will be our flower girls. It's really happening. I don't know who Hardin will have, besides Landon, for groomsmen. I won't be surprised if he doesn't have any.

I feel someone's arms wrap around my waist from behind me, and I feel the familiar touch of Hardin's lips on my neck.

"Good morning." I giggle as his breath tickles my neck.

"Morning, love."

I take out both Hardin's and my cereal, and pour him a bowl.

"What do you have planned for today?" He asks me, and I freeze. I want to make Hardin a really nice dinner tonight to thank him for everything, plus I haven't done anything special for him in so long.