Bread Crumbs

"This doesn't sound like Addie at all!" Queenie wailed, gripping a letter with both of her frail hands. Her eyes whisked through the writing once more, tears starting to drip off her chin to blotch the inked cursive below.

"Something must be going on in England," Jacob muttered, slouched in an armchair and running a hand over his scruff. "Her last update didn't hint at anything strange."

Queenie was getting to the point where holding the letter was too much for her to handle, dropping it onto the kitchen counter and fumbling for something to support her balance. "How did she go from talking about some treacle tart recipe to not wanting to see us ever!?"

Jacob finally shook his head out of his daydream and scrambled from the chair to comfort his girl, "Newt has been writing about how strange she's been too – there has to be more going on."

"B-But if Newt can't even get to her... wh-what could we do?" Queenie sniffled, "I'm the one that told her to leave in the first place!"

"Oh, now don't start putting the blame on yourself," Jacob wrapped an arm around her shoulders, "You were just looking out for your sis."

Queenie did not appear to be in a state where comforting words would reach her head properly. "Maybe she got bit by one of those lappy rat looking things from Newt's case!"

Jacob wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, but he was trying to wrack his brains of the memory instead, "Remind me why that sounds familiar."

"Sweetie, you got bit by one too. That is why Teenie brought you to our apartment, remember?"

He snapped his fingers in recognition, "Right! Yes – the memory is still a bit foggy on the not-so-nice bits." He rubbed a hand up and down her arm, "Should we try to write to Newt again?"

"I don't see what good it would do if he's not having any more luck than us."

The sudden click of the front doorknob gave them a start but was quickly replaced with relief. Tina and a murky eyed man came in with their light jackets being shucked off quickly.

"The heat is starting to get too much," Tina huffed, "You always forget about New York humidity until the seasons change."

"Teenie!"

Jacob kept a hold on the blonde as he turned questioning eyes onto the two newly present aurors, "Did you find anything helpful?"

The man straightened his vest and ran a hand through his slick hair as it was falling out of its original shape, "There wasn't a way to trace who sent the letter and seeing as the owl appears to come from a local post..."

"We were able to contact the office and see if they could confirm who purchased the owl's services." Tina turned to the taller man and brushed a leaf or two from his shoulder, "They sent us the documentation for signing the bird out."

"And it was Addie?" Queenie asked, hands raising to her lips.

"It was a petite redhead," Tina's guest stated, "Signed her name and everything."

"I told you the handwriting looked legitimate."

Queenie grabbed onto Jacob's hand, "We have to go check on her."

Tina went for the dining table, brushing away her windswept hair, "Why should we? She's made it blatantly clear that she doesn't want to see us."

Tears were beginning to appear back in Queenie's eyes, "But shouldn't that be the reason we do something? It's not like Addie at all!"

"England has made me realize that I was lacking independence ... I now know it was you that was holding me back ... I do not need you constantly trying to restrain and protect me ... Being free of an uptight eye is somewhat liberating ... Yes, it definitely sounds like she wants us to come check on her."