Ch 43: Grown Uglier, News

Hello, party people!

One of the readers brought my attention to each Prince's identify. I thought I'd share it with everyone to ease the confusion. Here is a quick guide:

Eighth Prince: Evil Prince whose plan seems to be in conflict with Xu Kai's plans. He is the one giving Xu Kai the warnings to stop interfering and searching.

Seventeenth Prince: Xi Ning's husband. He seems to have a strange fetish. He doesn't seem to be a benevolent person. Probably does some sketchy things behind the scenes.

Tenth Prince: AKA Rong Yi, his other identity. Carefree and has a thing for Zi Yan. His past is unrevealed. He is practically invisible in the imperial palace. People rarely see/hear about him, as he dedicates a lot of time outside the palace than inside.

**

I wave goodbye to Li Shi Zhen, who stands outside his Manor and General Li, who is in another horse carriage.

As Xu Kai's horse carriage sets off, a sense of awkwardness engulfs the atmosphere.

The cold breeze enters through the side windows. It's just me and him again.

His eyes meet mine, which are checking him out— I mean examining him.

He utters, "Zi Yan, you've grown uglier recently."

My jaw drops, "R-Really?" I pat my face and fix my hair, attempting to arrange myself in an orderly fashion.

Where? Am I that ugly? Why does he sound like my aunts in every family gathering?

"Your lips are chapped. There are bags under your eyes. And your hands are filled with cuts and bruises.. You haven't been taking care of yourself lately." His eyes turn towards the side windows, "You should rest."

I scratch my head and laugh nervously, "You noticed." He always notices everything.

Reaching into his pockets, he holds out his fist, "Here."

I raise my brows, "What is it?" I reach my hand under his fist and unfold my palms to receive the item.

He unravels his hand, dropping two pieces of candy onto my palms. "You like sweets, don't you?"

I grin vibrantly and nod, "I love sweets!" I unwrap the candies and throw them in my mouth, "I haven't tried something this sweet in so long. Thank you, Sir."

He condescendingly sneers, "Only you would be this happy with two pieces of candy."

"Are you trying to say I am cheap?" I gasp with my mouth wide open. A piece of the candy falls off my mouth.

"I did not say that. You are saying that yourself."

"You insinuated it."

"Did not."

"Did so!"

***

The Seventeenth Prince takes a seat next to his elder brother, the Eighth Prince. He seems to be challenging himself in a game of chess.

"Eighth Brother, I have both unfortunate and fortunate news."

"Hmm..." he says as he lifts up a piece of the pawn, "I enjoy hearing good news first."

"Well," continues the Seventeenth Prince, "It's exactly like you had planned. I mistreat Yuan Xi Ning and her mother will beg me to ease it up. Upon negotiating with her, she promised to steal a record of her husband, Minister Yuan's business benefits and frauds."

He continues after taking a sip of his tea, "Now, using that same record, we have successfully threatened Minister Yuan to work with us. He will be our supporting puppet in Jiang Nan's Harbour."

The Eighth Prince slowly claps his hands, "Progress.. I favor hearing it. What are the unfortunate news?"

"The unfortunate news... There was a  miscommunication in the assassination of Minister Kun. The man we sent was caught by General Li's troops; of course, he committed suicide but the silver needles.. are now in their hands."

The Eighth Prince throws his cup on the ground, creating a cacophonous noise. "Did I not warn you about being so careless? Now, they will go under our tails!" He reposes himself, "What are they planning to do now?"

The Seventeenth Prince shudders, "I-I sent some men to follow General Li. It seems she has sneakily departed with an imperial military guard into the Mountains. No doubt, they must be looking for the poisonous mushroom now."

The Eighth Prince sucks his teeth, "General Li again.. She never fails to disrupt our plans. Go! Send our most competent assassins to give them a taste of hell."

The Seventeenth Prince nods, "I will right away. Brother, I also want to add that the Tenth Prince has lately been going in and out quite often. Our men sees him intertwined with Minister Yuan's elder daughter, Yuan Zi Yan."

The Eighth Prince scoffs, "The good-for-nothing Tenth Prince?" He raises his brows, "With the little bunny.. Yuan Zi Yan? Seems like she still hasn't learned her lesson from last time."

The Seventeenth Prince grins smugly, "..Should I?"

"No. The security is too high at the moment."

The Eighth Prince smiles conceitedly, "How interesting, though. Xu Kai and the Tenth Prince both favor the same maiden."

"I wonder.. who is willing to sacrifice more?"